Discuss 0.12 ohms Suppliers ZE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Just completed a rewire and doing all the testing but when I come to the External loop impedance I'm getting 0.12 ohms. I've never had a reading this low before, is there something I'm missing or is this possible?

And I have no parallel paths to make the reading lower either

Many Thanks

there should really be no reason for concern with this value. As long as you've measured it properly.

do you have a reason to believe it should be higher?

there should really be no reason for concern with this value. As long as you've measured it properly.

do you have a reason to believe it should be higher?

The only reason I'm asking really is that I've never had one this low before, I think the lowest i've had before this was around the 0.6 mark, so just making sure really, i'm 100% sure I'm measuring it right

Well its relative to the earthing system and proximity to distributors supply transformer (where their reference 0v earth reference point is obtained). the closer you are, the lower the resistance for the earth fault loop.

With never having read a value below 0.6 ohms before, this would suggest you most oftenly work on TN-S systems?

Had 0.08 aswell, on my first NIC assesment! looked at the assesor and said sorry, but thats what the meter says, yup, substation 30 metres away. Passed

I've had 0.00 a few times on domestic, transformer in the back garden! Very low Ze's are common on industrial sites with there own 11kv trannys
Most seemingly TNS supplies achieve below 0.15 round are way leading me to believe that its only the short leg of cable to the property that remains TNS, it must have had new mains run in underground and PME'd
0.6 is high and in 1000 tests I have never seen one that high (apart from TT).

tested a TT the other day and got 35 ohms which was good as the rod was a twig!

Test it again when the grounds frozen or dried out!! I can assure you you won't see 35 ohms then!! You could even see that 35 ohms with a nasty zero added to it...lol!!

The amount of rain you have had these past couple of months or so, i bet there are many electricians patting themselves on the back after testing these twigs...

Hi

Just completed a rewire and doing all the testing but when I come to the External loop impedance I'm getting 0.12 ohms. I've never had a reading this low before, is there something I'm missing or is this possible?

And I have no parallel paths to make the reading lower either

Many Thanks

Have to agree with the others. Nothing strange at all about 0.12

Test it again when the grounds frozen or dried out!! I can assure you you won't see 35 ohms then!! You could even see that 35 ohms with a nasty zero added to it...lol!!

The amount of rain you have had these past couple of months or so, i bet there are many electricians patting themselves on the back after testing these twigs...

35ohms or 350....with 100ma S type or a 30ma, or both, it'll still disconnect within 0.2s
Carry on patting yourselves on the back guys.

35ohms or 350....with 100ma S type or a 30ma, or both, it'll still disconnect within 0.2s
Carry on patting yourselves on the back guys.

Fool!!!

So now your telling us not to even bother with ensuring ''Stability'' in a TT installation now are you??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 0.12 ohms Suppliers ZE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock