Discuss 1.25 flex of a 13 amp fused spur feeding a 3KW immersion heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Firstly I'd say you shouldn't be using a 13a FCU as it's right on the limit with a 3kW Immersion heater - much better is a good quality 20 amp DP switch and it should be fed via a dedicated 2.5mm circuit from a 16a MCB or RCBO. As for the flex, 1.5mm minimum.

1.25mm is on the limit for 13A anyway, more so in a hot area so I would also go 1.5mm

Agree with the FCU, not needed for a dedicated circuit anyway, and an indication it might be off a RFC which is not good practice.

1.25 is a fairly non standard size imo which is usually found on extension leads and 4 way plug adaptors etc

1.5 should be used for fixed hook ups like immersions and storage heaters imo

If it's on a 16A circuit, then the fuse in the FCU is not required, so the FCU should be replaced by a 20A DP switch. A 13A fuse will run hot feeding a 3kW immersion heater, and the plastic of the FCU will be damaged over time.

If it's on a 16A circuit, then the fuse in the FCU is not required, so the FCU should be replaced by a 20A DP switch. A 13A fuse will run hot feeding a 3kW immersion heater, and the plastic of the FCU will be damaged over time.
Cheers Brian I thought overload protection wasn’t required. Looks like these were initially installed like this.

So is this an occasion where regulation 433.3.1 comes into play? I will make this 25 characters long to comply with these rules. Just about 25 😂

So is this an occasion where regulation 433.3.1 comes into play? I will make this 25 characters long to comply with these rules. Just about 25 😂
You were at 25 characters at the “e” of “regulation”
25 words would be longer.

I’m not sure what this limit achieves…. Apart from stopping someone spamming threads with one letter posts just to be annoying.

Reply to 1.25 flex of a 13 amp fused spur feeding a 3KW immersion heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock