Discuss 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Radials should be run in 2.5mm and put on a 20A breaker.

Thats a new one, I thought perfectly acceptable on 16a.. this is T&E

SWA has a larger current carrying cappacity thinking a 10m run in 1.5mm SWA would be ok..

According to this its 26A. 1.5mm 3 core Armoured Cable

Either way its well within the 16a MCB it would be on..

Is it bad practice and most of you would not consider this?

Why?, nothing to say you cant back a 1-5 cable up with a 16 amp, personally I would install a 2-5 (obviously dependant on length) but cant see why you could condemn the 1-5
Personally you would install a 2.5mm.I would definitely install a 2.5mm and put it on a 20A breaker.I'm not condemning the 1.5.Each to his own and my preference;)

Thats a new one, I thought perfectly acceptable on 16a.. this is T&E

SWA has a larger current carrying cappacity thinking a 10m run in 1.5mm SWA would be ok..

According to this its 26A. 1.5mm 3 core Armoured Cable

Either way its well within the 16a MCB it would be on..

Is it bad practice and most of you would not consider this?
I would still install 2.5mm.You don't know what they will plug into it at the end of the day.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
dont dissagree with you, I would also install 2.5mm, its just that the customer has huge amount of 1.5mm and wondered if i could use it.

I would still install 2.5mm.You don't know what they will plug into it at the end of the day.:eek:

At the end of the day, if the cable is protected then the installation is safe, and a 1.5mm SWA will be okay on a 16A.

Thermosetting single phase SWA comes in at 27A with no corrections, so I'd say you would probably be okay with it even on a 20A, as long as you've done the corrections of course!

If im looking at the correct table 4D4A it says 18a clipped direct.

Are the sockets 3 phase then? As the single phase uncorrected CCC for thermoplastic is 21A in my book...

Last edited:
At the end of the day, if the cable is protected then the installation is safe, and a 1.5mm SWA will be okay on a 16A.

Thermosetting single phase SWA comes in at 27A with no corrections, so I'd say you would probably be okay with it even on a 20A, as long as you've done the corrections of course!

Are the sockets 3 phase then? As the single phase uncorrected CCC for thermoplastic is 21A in my book...
So your happy putting sockets on a 1.5mm cable:confused:

So your happy putting sockets on a 1.5mm cable:confused:

Ummmm, am I protecting the cable from overcurrents?

Yes.

Whether it be lighting, sockets, FCU's, it matters not as long as the cable and all associated equipment is protected from overcurrents, will disconnect in the required time, etc., etc.

Just because it's 1.5 doesn't mean it can only be used for lighting, just like you could put in 16mm radial circuits for sockets if you really liked, although you would have a hell of a time getting them in the terminals!!

As long as the calculations add up then you are complying with BS7671, which is what I adhere to.

90 degree, 1.5 armoured clipped direct single phase, 27 amps.
Can anyone tell me why, providing all the other factors allow you would not protect this with a 20
amp mcb.

Exactly. I don't know why people think that if it's a radial to a socket on 16A or 20A it needs to be 2.5 no matter what the cable type is. Someone's already brought up that it's okay for MICC, so why can't they see that it would be okay for SWA? Especially as the CCC of 1.5 MICC that are exposed to touch is less than that of 90 degree armoured!

But hey ho, some people are told that this is the way we do it, and they can't be budged even when common sense and proof from a British Standard document is in the mix.

Agree fully with pevvers..

It may be the norm to have sockets on 2.5 and lighting on 1.5 but that isnt the be all and end all. As long as the cable is protected by the overcurrent device then thats it. (Dont forget Rating factors)

How many sockets are you feeding? And how many are likely to be in use at one time. One 13A socket is only going to draw up to 13A, if the cable is rated at 20 odd A and the overcurrent device is 16A, then I cant see a problem.

Last edited:
Personally i cant see a problem, however, i do see it as good practice to use 2.5 for socket outlets.

i can see what your saying and agree in principal but i still see it as good practice to use 2.5 radials ;)

if however, the powers that be come up with a 1.5mm A4 radial circuit that features in 7671 then i would reconsider :p

Well if you're referring to the nice pictures in appendix 15 at the back of the BRB, you'll see a nice note at the bottom saying that these cables sizes refer to BS6004 "flat twin & earth" cable...

Well if you're referring to the nice pictures in appendix 15 at the back of the BRB, you'll see a nice note at the bottom saying that these cables sizes refer to BS6004 "flat twin & earth" cable...
hi pevvers,
in answer to the op i would say that it is acceptable, but not good practice. my opinion only ;)

Reply to 1.5mm SWA, Acceptable or bad practice ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock