Discuss 1 new socket in garage and 2 lights - Help if possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at adding one new socket to my garage and two wall lights. I have a plan of attack and would like the advice of the professionals if at all possible ?.

There is an existing socket in the garage which is part of the ground floor socket ring circuit. The existing ring circuit utilises 2.5mm twin and earth and is RCD protected and fed from a 32 amp breaker.

I hope to spur off the existing socket to a 13amp switch . From the switch I will feed (with 2.5mm T and E) to a double socket. I will then spur off the new socket to a bulk head light and then spur of that light to another bulk head light.

I appreciate that the socket will only work when the 13amp switch is activated and in turn both lights will be on when there is power to my new socket, ie its all or nothing, if the new socket has power to it the lights will be on and if there lights are off there will be no power to the new socket.

Its a domestic garage and my cable will be offered some protection in the form of PVC conduit.

I have drawn a diagram to try and explain a little bit more.

Attachments

• 1 new socket in garage and 2 lights - Help if possible 20190707_134953 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190707_134953.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 34
With that set up you risk overloading the supply cable tapped off your ring circuit, as spur off a spur is a no no.

Where the garage supply is spurred from your ring circuit you would need to have a fused connection unit, this would limit the total demand on that spur to 13 amps, you can then add as many sockets and lights as you wish without risk of overload on the cable.

For your lights you can use a switch fused connection unit to turn them on and off, fit a 3 amp fuse to this one allowing you to utilise a smaller cable which lighting connections tend to be designed for.

The usual advice of 'consult a local electrician' applies.

Please confirm whether the existing socket in the garage is a spur, or part of the ring.
Have had this in the past, where advice is given, then new information arises which negates that advice.

The existing socket in garage is not a spur, it is part of the ring for the ground floor sockets.

I will spur off this socket (part of ring circuit) to a 13amp switch spur unit and then from there to a double socket and to two lights.
With that set up you risk overloading the supply cable tapped off your ring circuit, as spur off a spur is a no no.

Where the garage supply is spurred from your ring circuit you would need to have a fused connection unit, this would limit the total demand on that spur to 13 amps, you can then add as many sockets and lights as you wish without risk of overload on the cable.

For your lights you can use a switch fused connection unit to turn them on and off, fit a 3 amp fuse to this one allowing you to utilise a smaller cable which lighting connections tend to be designed for.

The usual advice of 'consult a local electrician' applies.
Its not a spur off a spur, the existing socket is part of the ring main, i will spur off the existing socket to a 13amp switch and then to a double socket and two lights. The cable will be protected by the 13amp switch.

Without actually testing the circuit you have no way of knowing if it is part of a ring final circuit. If it is you can incorporate the new socket and lighting spur into the ring final circuit. This is a simple job for an electrician who can test the circuit and confirm it has correct protection which would include an rcd/rcbo.

Reply to 1 new socket in garage and 2 lights - Help if possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock