Discuss 10/3 120ft. Black and red On 1 breaker to keep amps up. What is the max breaker for that? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok, but don’t forget that if you double the conductors to the breaker (to allow for larger current?)
Then you have to double the conductors on the neutral as well.
The current on the neutral will be the same as on the live.

Ok, but don’t forget that if you double the conductors to the breaker (to allow for larger current?)
Then you have to double the conductors on the neutral as well.
The current on the neutral will be the same as on the live.
Yes. I had the 10/3 already. And just trying to reduce the amperage fade off. I was going to use a 15 or 20 breaker. But wanted someone else’s opinion on the breaker size and if I need to go bigger or could go bigger what y’all suggested. I think it would be fine with a 20 amp breaker but I’m curious as to what y’all would do

I can double the neutral if I need to with no problem
If you double the current on one side of the circuit you MUST double the other side as well. If you don’t increase the neutral then it will melt when the increased (double) load goes through it.
Not sure why you need to increase your cable size. Is it a bigger load, or is it to reduce volt drop?

I am in the UK and so I have no idea what the characteristics are of 10/3 cable. But the principles of circuit currents are the same everywhere. You must double both legs. Probably the earth too, as the earth fault path may not meet code.

If you double the current on one side of the circuit you MUST double the other side as well. If you don’t increase the neutral then it will melt when the increased (double) load goes through it.
Not sure why you need to increase your cable size. Is it a bigger load, or is it to reduce volt drop?

I am in the UK and so I have no idea what the characteristics are of 10/3 cable. But the principles of circuit currents are the same everywhere. You must double both legs. Probably the earth too, as the earth fault path may not meet code.

First off thank you for responding to my inquiry. But…. I under stand what your saying. I did say amp drop off In my earlier reply but I meant volt drop off. Ok. So all I want to know is the max breaker so I do not burn up my wiring. I want to make sure I stay well under the max. If you don’t understand the wire I am using then you don’t know what the max breaker I can use. So saying that, you can not answer my original question. And if you can’t answer my original question then why are you even commenting at all?

First off thank you for responding to my inquiry. But…. I under stand what your saying. I did say amp drop off In my earlier reply but I meant volt drop off. Ok. So all I want to know is the max breaker so I do not burn up my wiring. I want to make sure I stay well under the max. If you don’t understand the wire I am using then you don’t know what the max breaker I can use. So saying that, you can not answer my original question. And if you can’t answer my original question then why are you even commenting at all?
Just pointing out a general issue in your plan and hoping you take that on board.
But I’ll leave you on your own now. Hopefully there will be someone else from your region who can help you. But I haven’t exactly seen a rush of suggestions!
Bye now.

The NEC does not permit paralleling conductors smaller then 1/0 see NEC article 310.10 (H) (1), which is what is being done, only way to be code compliant is to use larger conductors, and then 250.122(B) kicks in and you have to increase the size of the grounding conductor proportionately in size to the ungrounded (hot) conductor(s), it's pain in the butt rule but code is code.

10/3 120ft. Going to an out building. Black and red On 1 breaker to keep amps up. What is the max breaker for that setup?
You are not allowed to parallel wires if they are smaller than 1/0 wire. You need to add a 40 amp double pole breaker and use # 8 wire if your having problems with amperage with # 10 wire

Reply to 10/3 120ft. Black and red On 1 breaker to keep amps up. What is the max breaker for that? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net