Discuss 10.5kw shower wired in 10mm twin n earth on a 40A breaker a problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your all bullies and trolls.

I would have no problem allowing this goulash chap to install my shower.

(But none of you know how much my wife is insurred for)

It seems like you on the limits here mate, all depends on reference method the cable is installed. There is no way it will catch a fire,using lower rating mcb you just increased protection for the cable, builder talking nonsense, if anything , if you increased mcb to 45A , you increase the risk of fire.
In any way I am not saying that your design is up to scratch without knowing details, and yes , not sure how you tested mcb?

Yeah I better take it out and put it straight in to the 100amp mains fuse, that way it will disconnect under 5 s and stop any fires also it would be free to run! Builders ay!

Don't understand the post at all, you do a basic install perform the required calculations to determine the correct cable size and breaker rating, once installed you tested circuit and issued paperwork and notified lbc, and then a tiler turns up and says you've done it wrong???.

Or happen you just guessed the cable size and breaker rating / didn't bother notifying the lbc and took the money?.

Whichever one it is it just doesn't sound like you know what your doing, if you did you'd check your books if you were that concerned, not post on a forum.

i see downrating of MCB's quite alot, wouldn't even code it tbh. i wouldn't design it like that either, whenever i find it it's been like that for years and you know the old saying, if it aint broke don't fix it. if i remember correctly a modern MCB will trip at 1.45 times the rated current. so thats 58A for a 40A breaker, i think it will be alright

Testing an mcb is like seeing how long your tent would cope for in a Hurricane,
Apply a 150 mph wind and the tent gets destroyed after staying up for a second
The tent may have passed the test, but its not a lot of good for sleeping under again lol

And these shower ratings are sometimes a bit of an exaggeration

im considering putting my 10.5kw shower on a 40a rcbo, 1 because they dont do bigger in crabtree and 2 because i dont want to buy a seperate shower unit of 63a rcd with 50a mcb....if it trips then ill have to change it but if anything its safer.......

- - - Updated - - -

im considering putting my 10.5kw shower on a 40a rcbo, 1 because they dont do bigger in crabtree and 2 because i dont want to buy a seperate shower unit of 63a rcd with 50a mcb....if it trips then ill have to change it but if anything its safer.......

davewdave;748232]im considering putting my 10.5kw shower on a 40a rcbo, 1 because they dont do bigger in crabtree and 2 because i dont want to buy a seperate shower unit of 63a rcd with 50a mcb....if it trips then ill have to change it but if anything its safer.......

I can't understand why anyone would even consider installing a 10.5 KW shower, let alone actually installing one!! lol!!

I can't understand why anyone would even consider installing a 10.5 KW shower, let alone actually installing one!! lol!!
its a modern phenomena eng called `my showers bigger than yours` at the neighbours...
a bit like the `chicken brick` that used to be sold by habitat back in the late 70s early 80s...so all the street would come round to admire it...a stoneware pot you cooked a chicken in...
anyway...the point is some feel the need to have the best kitchen, biggest shower,sparklyest bathroom etc...
these people need patience and understanding.....

its a modern phenomena eng called `my showers bigger than yours` at the neighbours...
a bit like the `chicken brick` that used to be sold by habitat back in the late 70s early 80s...so all the street would come round to admire it...a stoneware pot you cooked a chicken in...
anyway...the point is some feel the need to have the best kitchen, biggest shower,sparklyest bathroom etc...

They need a good kickin Glen......My wife is exactly the same, she has to have better than my cousins missus.....She needs a good kickin aswell!!lol

straitjacket is the word i'd use.

Reply to 10.5kw shower wired in 10mm twin n earth on a 40A breaker a problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net