Discuss 10 pair phone BT cable.... help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking at possible job tomorrow and the architect I'm meeting mentioned that it may also need a 10 pair phone cable run in...

New one for me, just a few questions please....:

1/Can you get this in SWA as it will be running underground?

2/If so is it the same to make off as a standard SWA? same glands?

3/10pair - how many phone lines would this be enough for ? (3 maybe, but then again I'm sure BT incomers are normally only on 2 wires, so would it 10)

4/At one end is best just to leave it ready for BT at their DP postion, are they normally happy to make off an SWA ?

5/Any thoughts on the best way to do the other end, maybe make off into an adaptable box and split down into standard 3 pair supplying each master point?

Many Thanks,

Sy

Last edited:
10 pairs = 5 phone lines. you can buy in SWA not sure of the number of pairs you can get, always go over. if you need 10 pair, go for 20 pair cable. adaptable box sounds good.

you can buy 20 pair cable, but you will need to use hellerman pliers and sleeves to terminate it properly.
Its glanded the same as SWA though. I cant see BT glanding an SWA personally

Last edited:
i would terminate using the grease filled BT connectors.

Im not sure its quite as strong as Normal SWA but more like the SY so what i would do is terminate into a stuffing gland and earth as you would ,twist sleeve and crimp or Wago but as johnboy has said proper termination tools

just for clarification, im talking about 0.75 paired cable, that industry use for instrumentation. it has each pair covered in tape and foil, and a tinned copper screen wrapped around the pairs. all of the pairs are covered in a PVC sheath, then armour, then PVC again.
The crutch of the cable is sleeved, and the crutch of each pair is sleeved also, along with all screens. crimped with bootlaces

Thanks chaps for your advice there....

Did have some of those oil filled BT press connector thingys, somewhere..? In the dark depths of my van! Might have a word with my friendly local BT chap and see if he can give me a few more. And also find out if he knows what BT do when they're left with an SWA to terminate, suppose it no real pain if I just terminate it in a box ready for them.

The clue is in the number of pairs. 10 pairs is 10 lines - *unless* you're dealing with a older style BT phone system, where they sometimes use two pairs for feature phones (The BT Revelation and Inspiration and Versatility for example all use a 1 or 2 pair system). If you don't bring them both pairs, normal phones will work on a single pair, but the feature phones won't operate.
Newer systems like the Norstar Meridian systems and BCM's all work on a single pair however.

When we used to make off armoured cable for BT work (sub-contracting for Carillion-Telent / BT), we would strip outer sheath with a knife, cut the armour with sidecutters and bend the armoured strands back over the outer sheath, and secure with insulation tape so you can't ----- your fingers on it. That was the method for termination as we were instructed by the book! No use of glands or earthing at all.

Don't know what the situation is, but you will need a proper 10 pair block (Box Connection 19A http://www.tatra.co.uk/files/upload_files/products/Box%20Connection%2018%20and%2019A.pdf) to terminate the 10 pair cable at the end you are working on, then you can run in standard 3/4 pair cable to the points you need.

TBH, if you run in the armoured cable, and when BT come to connect it up, ask them to fit a block at the end you need to terminate it, that should be fine, they will just want the cable dug in etc! They will probably provide the Box Connection 19A above for your use.

BT should be perfectly happy to connect up at their end, when we had jobs where the civils gang would dig the armoured cable in, we had to run it up the pole or into the box in the footway etc and terminate into the existing block.

Hope this helps.

very useful info there many thanks edrobbo8.....

After all that went long today, cable is internal so no SWA required and I just have to price to supply and run cable in - telecoms / data chappy is doing the rest, happy with that really :)

very useful info there many thanks edrobbo8.....

After all that went long today, cable is internal so no SWA required and I just have to price to supply and run cable in - telecoms / data chappy is doing the rest, happy with that really :)
I normally buy things like that from a company called telkom international (or could be direct) based in wiltshire IIRC.

PRI is a Primary Rate ISDN line, starts with 8 Channels, and goes all the way upto 30 Channels of voice. Can also be used as a 2mb/s leased line.
BRI is a Basic Rate ISDN line, with 2 Channels.
POTS is Plain Old Telephone Service, single channel analogue line.

PRI is usually used in larger businesses, one of my clients has two sites with 8 channel PRI's so that future growth can be accommodated (you just ring BT and ask for more channels to be turned on), while their smaller sites have a pair of BRI's for 4 channels. It allows them to have 4 calls in on 1 number, or 8 calls in on one number very simply, as well as Caller ID and the PRI's are delivered over fibre for better resiliency.

Last edited:
Looking at possible job tomorrow and the architect I'm meeting mentioned that it may also need a 10 pair phone cable run in...

New one for me, just a few questions please....:

1/Can you get this in SWA as it will be running underground?

2/If so is it the same to make off as a standard SWA? same glands?

3/10pair - how many phone lines would this be enough for ? (3 maybe, but then again I'm sure BT incomers are normally only on 2 wires, so would it 10)

4/At one end is best just to leave it ready for BT at their DP postion, are they normally happy to make off an SWA ?

5/Any thoughts on the best way to do the other end, maybe make off into an adaptable box and split down into standard 3 pair supplying each master point?

Many Thanks,

Sy

10 pair is ten phone lines as bt only use two cores in total for phone lines. iam aware of a fifty pair in swa. yes they are made of the same as swa are

Reply to 10 pair phone BT cable.... help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock