Discuss 1000 w dimmer keeps blowing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aaelectric

Have replaced a dimmer switch for a chanderleer with around 10 bulbs at 40w. Every couple of months the dimmer will blow. I Done insulation test on switch line and light itself and no problems. The light is on from. 8am-8pm most days as its a pub. Any ideas

Happens a lot nowadays. They get pretty hot so need to be in large back-box if recessed into the wall or they over-heat. Had a couple that die after a short-circuit too. I generally use click but have given up on the dimmers as they are rubbish. Assuming that they are rated correctly. Also they hate low energy lamps, whatever the manufacturers say. GU10s also need care if memory serves me right, you have to effectively de-rate the switch. Cant remember the factor Im afraid

Last edited:
I have found by using a deeper back box can help, as if you have tried to squash it all in a 25mm backbox, then it can get hot, especially being on for that period of time.

Happens a lot nowadays. They get pretty hot so need to be in large back-box if recessed into the wall or they over-heat. Had a couple that die after a short-circuit too. I generally use click but have given up on the dimmers as they are rubbish

Like the thinking about the heat, that hasn't occured to me before, but I don't have many clients with chandeliers with 10 bulbs!!

We have had the same problem when using grid dimmers in a multi gang plate. The combined heat causes them to either cut out or burn out altogether. Can also sometimes burn out when a lamp blows.

We have found the Aurora 800W dimmer to be quite a reliable unit and have fitted many of these in hotels & pubs.

Reply to 1000 w dimmer keeps blowing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net