Discuss 100m Cable run in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Coenst

Afternoon all

I have a task of running a supply from the 3 phase incomer on a farm to a barn conversion 100m away. The blue phase (100A) is free that I will have to run and connect to the 100A consumer unit which recently installed in the barn.

What size armoured will be safe to do so? 25mm?

Any advise is appreciated.

You would need to assess your volt drop over that distance as being the likely limiting factor, so you would need to know your anticipated load pretty accurately to avoid installing too large or too small a cable.
25mm² over 100m would limit you to about 39 A.

As above show your calculations and any errors we spot we will be happy to correct them for you, we like to help on this forum but stop short of doing all the calculations for you.

Last edited:
This post started off with guesswork.

This shows it at 50mm with basic info; Welcome to Doncaster Cables - Technical Help

At 5% volt drop ^^
lol but then a lot of subcircuits wont comply.

seriously but i would get a quote for a new supply from dno, you might get lucky and there might be a service cable close and at that length and size cable you would need and have sub circuits will be expensive.

70mm is £18m and 95mm is £25 +delivery cost as well

you need to do a proper cable calc, over that distance you haven't got a chance in hell 50mm will comply for supply to the board.

clipped direct would give you 2.7% vd with no derating factors applied so as soon as you put a lighting circuit off it you will be over

Last edited:
Hmmmmm OP not been back with his detailed calcs yet ? I'm very surprised I must say.

I wonder if he stuck to the original method of picking a size out of a hat ? Did he go for the 25, or the 35, perhaps a 50, a 70, or maybe the 95 ?

Due to the time lag of any response it would seem the OP has seen he is a bit out of depth as he asked a question while providing little if any of the info needed to work it out, clearly he would not be aware about the info we needed.

Reply to 100m Cable run in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net