Discuss 10KA or 6KA breakers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I know the difference between the 2 sorts but I'm thinking do I need to fit 10KA breakers in this scenario, when I've got 6KA MCBs in the van!

3 phase DB, Isc 4.9KA (phase to earth), all circuits from this DB are single phase. Will never be 3 phase in future (HMO).

Worst case short circuit (phase to phase) would be 9.8KA, but that could only happen in the DB itself, which is protected by the 100A 1361 DNO fuse.

can you be sure that there isnt 2 phases in the same switch or containment any where in the install i would fit 10ka on that information to be on the safe side

I know the difference between the 2 sorts but I'm thinking do I need to fit 10KA breakers in this scenario, when I've got 6KA MCBs in the van!

3 phase DB, Isc 4.9KA (phase to earth), all circuits from this DB are single phase. Will never be 3 phase in future (HMO).

Worst case short circuit (phase to phase) would be 9.8KA, but that could only happen in the DB itself, which is protected by the 100A 1361 DNO fuse.
All about design of the circuits fella.

6KA is fine in this scenario.

6kA will be okay going of thebinfo provided

IF you have a upstream protective device that meets requirements then any device downstream does not even have to meet the S/C current rating because if the downstream device is destroyed and maintains a fault then the upstream device will still operate safely.... Note im not saying this is good design in any way but if you find you have a DB full of none compliant devices you can fit a upstream device with a higher Ka rating to give the installation a pass.

IF you have a upstream protective device that meets requirements then any device downstream does not even have to meet the S/C current rating because if the downstream device is destroyed and maintains a fault then the upstream device will still operate safely.... Note im not saying this is good design in any way but if you find you have a DB full of none compliant devices you can fit a upstream device with a higher Ka rating to give the installation a pass.

Maybe, but i'm a great believer in providing the correct rated OCPD's. I've only seen the result of using grossly under rated Breakers once, (and there was other issues) but that breaker was missing almost half of it's casing and bit's of it's internals and busbar all over the DB, with quite a few damaged adjacent breakers to boot!! lol!!!! The upstream protection did trip, but not fast enough to prevent some expensive damage to the DB...

As an example, i always make sure that small power final DB's in our project S/S rooms are provided with MCB's rated at 25KA...

Maybe, but i'm a great believer in providing the correct rated OCPD's. I've only seen the result of using grossly under rated Breakers once, (and there was other issues) but that breaker was missing almost half of it's casing and bit's of it's internals and busbar all over the DB, with quite a few damaged adjacent breakers to boot!! lol!!!! The upstream protection did trip, but not fast enough to prevent some expensive damage to the DB...

As an example, i always make sure that small power final DB's in our project S/S rooms are provided with MCB's rated at 25KA...

Its not technically correct either, theirs a little bit more to cascading than what has been mentioned.

Agree designed correctly all sub boards tend to have larger supply cables etc to allow for cascading for discrimination a positive consequence of this is your up front devices by design tend to have a high Ka tolerence anyway..... i did put a note in my last post about the comment i made wasnt good design but i was just reflecting on requirements .... if the downstream device is destroyed because it has a limited Ka rating the upstream device will still cover the fault and operate thus the supply is diconnected as required... yes the downstream device requires replacement but this is down to installation design which could be better and not the fact that its not in compliance.

Agree designed correctly all sub boards tend to have larger supply cables etc to allow for cascading for discrimination a positive consequence of this is your up front devices by design tend to have a high Ka tolerence anyway..... i did put a note in my last post about the comment i made wasnt good design but i was just reflecting on requirements .... if the downstream device is destroyed because it has a limited Ka rating the upstream device will still cover the fault and operate thus the supply is diconnected as required... yes the downstream device requires replacement but this is down to installation design which could be better and not the fact that its not in compliance.

Both go hand in hand as far as i'm concerned, and will certainly save any severe and costly damage occurring at the downstream position.

Agree fully E54 my comments were for pre-existing installs and how to get around the issue without massive costs... new installs etc should not be seeing these set-ups and i wouldn't condone implementing what i said in a new install.

Eh? If you are going to connect a large motor to a circuit using a B type mcb would silly yes? one socket for a kettle then a b fine?

Sorry but where does B type and a large motor come into the equation?

I was asking about 6KA versus 10KA MCBs, I also mentioned that all circuits were single phase only as this was a HMO.

Just to give an update, I did ask the question to the technical support guys at Elecsa.

The guy was happy with the 6KA MCBs as the upfront 1361 Type II fuse had rated short circuit capacity of 16.5KA

Just to give an update, I did ask the question to the technical support guys at Elecsa.

The guy was happy with the 6KA MCBs as the upfront 1361 Type II fuse had rated short circuit capacity of 16.5KA

That's no Guarantee, its not as straight forward as that unless you are utilizing UK Annex ZA

Not many will find themselves installing MCB’s so close the source.

One reason all our panels were fitted with BS88 fuses between the main busbars and the various small power boards in the panel. They were only to feed the various substation services but so close to the transformer a bit of help was considered necessary. Belt and braces it may have been, we were happy with it. 40KA MPFC at the main bars needs some toning down. Happy to say, it was never needed.

Not many will find themselves installing MCB’s so close the source.

One reason all our panels were fitted with BS88 fuses between the main busbars and the various small power boards in the panel. They were only to feed the various substation services but so close to the transformer a bit of help was considered necessary. Belt and braces it may have been, we were happy with it. 40KA MPFC at the main bars needs some toning down. Happy to say, it was never needed.

Agree, i was only using this as an example.

BTW, we haven't used HRC fuses in Main Switchboards and Main Distribution boards for a good many years now. All are now high rated Schneider (MG) ACB's/MCCB's.

Reply to 10KA or 6KA breakers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock