Discuss 10mA RCD for bathroom circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been to look at a job this morning for a CU change, customer the type who wants to have his say on every tiny detail. He has already bought the CU as well, a Wylex RCBO unit.....

I pointed out that the RCBO ratings he has bought don't align with what I actually need...and that some will need to be swapped. So far, so good.

He then says he wants to include 10mA RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom. This will be lighting, shower and spa bath pump. I point out that I don't think Wylex do 10mA RCBOs....and if they do why hasn't he bought them instead of 30mA ones...to which he said he why can't I add the 10mA after the RCBOs. I tried to tell him that having two RCDs in series isn't great as they won't discriminate and in this case would actually be pointless. I also said that 30mA protection is the accepted standard for this job. Nevertheless, he still wants it.

I told him I'll be back next week, but he gave me a headache. Just wondered what any of you guys would do in this situation?

Apologise, tell him you were mistaken and that you won’t be back next week
Think that might be the way I'll go....
Have you ever had the 10mA thing?? This guy says he once 'had an electric shock off a tap'...hence his paranoia I think.

Those Layzspa jacuzzis come with an in line 10mA RCD, you can also obtain them as RCD sockets.
I have heard of 10mA RCDs being used for medical and laboratory installations.

Been to look at a job this morning for a CU change, customer the type who wants to have his say on every tiny detail. He has already bought the CU as well, a Wylex RCBO unit.....

I pointed out that the RCBO ratings he has bought don't align with what I actually need...and that some will need to be swapped. So far, so good.

He then says he wants to include 10mA RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom. This will be lighting, shower and spa bath pump. I point out that I don't think Wylex do 10mA RCBOs....and if they do why hasn't he bought them instead of 30mA ones...to which he said he why can't I add the 10mA after the RCBOs. I tried to tell him that having two RCDs in series isn't great as they won't discriminate and in this case would actually be pointless. I also said that 30mA protection is the accepted standard for this job. Nevertheless, he still wants it.

I told him I'll be back next week, but he gave me a headache. Just wondered what any of you guys would do in this situation?
Your customer will be onto you for every little thing, all OK for call outs bur will become a nuisance to you, if you can put up with that then go ahead, if not and you value your sanity, walk.

Thanks guys, I think I will give this job a miss. I never heard of 10mA RCD protection in a domestic bathroom, I have only encountered them infrequently in any situation....the chap said he got the idea from a relative who lives in Spain. Maybe they use them over there.

Thanks Murdoch, I had already looked but wasn't inspired by price or condition of most of them. Also, would need a B6, B40 and probably a B6, B10 or B16. Anyhow....I'm not going back so who cares!!

Your customer will be onto you for every little thing, all OK for call outs bur will become a nuisance to you, if you can put up with that then go ahead, if not and you value your sanity, walk.
Sorry to say this Mate "bad idea to agree to let the customer supply parts in the first place"

Reply to 10mA RCD for bathroom circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock