Discuss 10mA RCD for bathroom circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Price the job as per BS7671 using 30mA slightly higher than you usually do (not too high that you would be ripping him off) and make it clear that it is with 30mA only.

Hager used to, and I think still do 10mA RCBO’s

Id tell the bloke the truth - that you’re not doing the work coz he’s an arse, otherwise he’ll go through life not knowing it

I would politely become far too busy to take on the job.

Been to look at a job this morning for a CU change, customer the type who wants to have his say on every tiny detail. He has already bought the CU as well, a Wylex RCBO unit.....

I pointed out that the RCBO ratings he has bought don't align with what I actually need...and that some will need to be swapped. So far, so good.

He then says he wants to include 10mA RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom. This will be lighting, shower and spa bath pump. I point out that I don't think Wylex do 10mA RCBOs....and if they do why hasn't he bought them instead of 30mA ones...to which he said he why can't I add the 10mA after the RCBOs. I tried to tell him that having two RCDs in series isn't great as they won't discriminate and in this case would actually be pointless. I also said that 30mA protection is the accepted standard for this job. Nevertheless, he still wants it.

I told him I'll be back next week, but he gave me a headache. Just wondered what any of you guys would do in this situation?
Walk away, customers who think they know better are nothing but trouble

He sounds like he is on top of his specification...let him crack on. He can use the same methods he used,for the CU,to find the RCD he needs.
He probably will find someone to take on his project,so let them have all the fun and glory;)

I turned an old Wylex 10mA RCD into an RCD socket by punching a round hole in it and fitting an MK panel socket. I use it a lot for on site appliance repairs where I'm poking inside live appliances. Not as good as, but more practical to carry than a large isolation transformer, and better than nothing.10mA RCD for bathroom circuits 10ma rcd - EletriciansForums.net

Once had a customer who complained of shocks from kitchen sink tap
He'd been getting them for 2 years!

Took 30 mins to find the problem
I was testing for voltage between tap and earth from the cooker outlet
nothing
He said put your hand on it
Nothing
He was insistent so I did it several times and got after 10 mins got a small shock
Tested with meter +120v rising to +200v
( I forget the exact readings)
????
Checked the polarity at incomer
230 to earth nothing between line and neutral
So I rigged up a temporary spike in his garden tested between wire and N terminal and got over 200v

While doing this I noticed the pole transformer with newish cable and the orange sleeve covering on the cable coming to the house
I said is that new ?

He said oh they changed it 2 years ago......
Quick call to WPD they came out to check

The guy tested it and said @#$% some idiots connected the N to a phase

He called a manager who came out and started trying to explain it away as something got broken inside Tx from the wind!

Once had a customer who complained of shocks from kitchen sink tap
He'd been getting them for 2 years!

Took 30 mins to find the problem
I was testing for voltage between tap and earth from the cooker outlet
nothing
He said put your hand on it
Nothing
He was insistent so I did it several times and got after 10 mins got a small shock
Tested with meter +120v rising to +200v
( I forget the exact readings)
????
Checked the polarity at incomer
230 to earth nothing between line and neutral
So I rigged up a temporary spike in his garden tested between wire and N terminal and got over 200v

While doing this I noticed the pole transformer with newish cable and the orange sleeve covering on the cable coming to the house
I said is that new ?

He said oh they changed it 2 years ago......
Quick call to WPD they came out to check

The guy tested it and said @#$% some idiots connected the N to a phase

He called a manager who came out and started trying to explain it away as something got broken inside Tx from the wind!

An update on this one. I rang him on Monday and told him where I stood and that I am happy to do any work he wants doing so long as it is to BS7671, and the 10mA thing ain't happening....and he started crying....actually crying. I asked him what's wrong and he hung up. Odd fella he is.

How odd. To be fair if someone wanted 10mA protection then fair enough, just put a disclaimer about nuisance tripping. Customer happy and job done.

Don't see what the issue is with fitting 10mA protection for the bathroom is?

It's not like it's going to generate enough leakage current to trip as a nuisance. It's only lights, a shower and an extractor. An those will be split between 2 devices.

They're an available product, although not common. I'd have just priced the job, it's going to be more expensive but it's what the customer wants.

Been to look at a job this morning for a CU change, customer the type who wants to have his say on every tiny detail. He has already bought the CU as well, a Wylex RCBO unit.....

I pointed out that the RCBO ratings he has bought don't align with what I actually need...and that some will need to be swapped. So far, so good.

He then says he wants to include 10mA RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom. This will be lighting, shower and spa bath pump. I point out that I don't think Wylex do 10mA RCBOs....and if they do why hasn't he bought them instead of 30mA ones...to which he said he why can't I add the 10mA after the RCBOs. I tried to tell him that having two RCDs in series isn't great as they won't discriminate and in this case would actually be pointless. I also said that 30mA protection is the accepted standard for this job. Nevertheless, he still wants it.

I told him I'll be back next week, but he gave me a headache. Just wondered what any of you guys would do in this situation?
tell him to get someone else to do it. Don't take ---- from any wise ahole

Reply to 10mA RCD for bathroom circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock