Discuss 10ml or 6ml main bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tapouchoke

Hi guys :cool:

I have carried out works on a kitchen, altered cooker cct, altered socket circuit to suit new lay out
Installed rcbos to circuits as they have got socket outlets on them lest than 2oamps
All tested ect
16ml main tails 16ml main earth
now the main gas and water is only 6mml do I have to upgrade this or can I leave it as 6ml and put a comment / departure on the cert as code 4

All comments appreciated good and bad
Cheers

yes i agree with spamwize 10mm except for t.t What i cant understand is how come peeps are still putting in 16mm tails when this changed to 25mm when part p came out????:confused:If i am wrong please correct me,but pages 31-33 of the Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations 2005 back me up on this?????

As I understand when undertaking new work on an old TNC instalation it should be part of the job to up the MET and main equipotential bonds 16mm and 10mm respectivlly.

As I understand when undertaking new work on an old TNC instalation it should be part of the job to up the MET and main equipotential bonds 16mm and 10mm respectivlly.

Really? Even if everything tests ok and all disc times, Zs's etc are met ???? That sounds a bit harsh!

You should really be checking your earthing arrangement and csa's of main and protective earthing conductors, before you carry out new installation or alteration.
If you earthing arrangement isn't up to min requirements it's a code 1 to me, not 4. There are (not very interesting) reasons for minimum csa's of earthing conductors within different earthing arrangements and not all directly related to meeting minimum Zs.
The main reason inadequate bonding is a code 1 and should be verified at quotation stage is this..... the NICEIC man will make you go back and put it right for free if he picks that job to look at and it's wrong, oh yeah and if another spark does work in that customers house and sees that the bonding is undersized and the customer tells him you were the last spark in he'll probably bad mouth you to the customer while quoting to upgrade the installation.
As a rule of thumb i'd always check the supply and arrangement before quoting the work.

Again cheers for advice
Can we get a member who is good with the regs?
As I do work for the local authority and when you go into a job they want the bare minim to keep installation safe keep the cost down

TapouT

You could call your regulatory body. The organisation you are registered with to self certify your work as required by Part P of the building regs.
Tell them that you are doing/have done work in a domestic dwelling with a PME supply - they will tell you that you need to upgrade the bonding to services (gas and water) to 10mm.

If you don't want to do that you can always invest in a copy of the regs and flick to page 134, reg 544.1.1 which basically says that main protective bonding conductors are required to be atleast half the csa of the main earthing conductor at a min of 6mm.... except in PME circumstances whereby you select the size of conductor based on the size of the main neutral conductor in table 54.8 (on the same page) 35mm Neutral or less = 10mm Main protective bonding conductor.

Hope this clarifies it for you?

Again cheers for advice
Can we get a member who is good with the regs?
As I do work for the local authority and when you go into a job they want the bare minim to keep installation safe keep the cost down

TapouT

You don't have to change bonding, code 4 is ok, but like has been said don't risk getting bad mouthed, just change it to 10mm, make the cost up elsewhere.;)

Still think you're best checking with your registered body, NICEIC, ELECSA or whoever. The regs are pretty clear on minimum requirements but i do concede that they aren't retrospective and there are 'advisory' codes given on some other documentation i've seen (it's the regs they'll hold up in court though).
I have mates who have had to go back to properties to upgrade the bonding where there has only been 6mm, admittedly it was before the advent of the 17th edition, maybe the new regs have changed requirements?
Does anyone know if there is a reg in there giving this leeway?

Still think you're best checking with your registered body, NICEIC, ELECSA or whoever. The regs are pretty clear on minimum requirements but i do concede that they aren't retrospective and there are 'advisory' codes given on some other documentation i've seen (it's the regs they'll hold up in court though).
I have mates who have had to go back to properties to upgrade the bonding where there has only been 6mm, admittedly it was before the advent of the 17th edition, maybe the new regs have changed requirements?
Does anyone know if there is a reg in there giving this leeway?

Correct me if i am wrong, what is basically being said here is everytime you do a job no matter how small you have to upgrade bonding if not current regs.?:confused:

Hi I would say if the main fuse in the cut out is 100 A should be 25mm tails & 16 mm earth if 60 Amp 16.mm tails ok.If tt 6mm earth ok if tn 10 mm earth.

As a matter of course i always change mains tails to 25mm & 16mm earth, with 10mm to gas and water etc, i know other other sizes are ok for different installations, but you dont always know what the main incomer fuse size is, so i always go for the max, regards dave

Reply to 10ml or 6ml main bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock