Discuss 10mm meter tails 60amp fuse 6mm bond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all been a while since I've posted.

at today's job I noticed 10mm meter tails with 6mm bonding and although my first thoughts were tails should be min 16mm and bonding 10mm

so at the risk of sounding stupid I couldn't find the exact reason why this was wrong as the 10mm would take 61amps

could anyone clear this for me?

Bonding is under sized, though it probably complied at the time of design/construction.
Nothing wrong with the CSA of the tails as far as BS7671 is concerned, though they are probably not double insulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
PVC insulated and sheathed I think you'll find, often referred to as DI though, but not strictly correct. A bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover....everyone knows what it means even if it's not strictly correct.

Whether a cable is described as being double insulated, has no bearing on whether it is or isn't as far as BS7671 is concerned.
What matters is whether the cable complies with the requirements.
As cables with insulation and sheaths, and cables with reinforced insulation satisfy the requirements for double insulation, such cables are deemed as being double insulated.

Risterd despite your obsessive compulsion to disagree with me at every opportunity, I suggest that if you do not like my use of the term 'double insulation' for cables that satisfy the requirements for double insulation, that rather than continue this childish sniping at me across various forums, you take this particular matter up with the JPEL 64 committee.
By all means continue chasing after me, if that floats your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether a cable is described as being double insulated, has no bearing on whether it is or isn't as far as BS7671 is concerned.
As cables with insulation and sheaths, and cables with reinforced insulation satisfy the requirements for double insulation, such cables are deemed as being double insulated.

Risterd despite your obsessive compulsion to disagree with me at every opportunity, I suggest that if you do not like my use of the term 'double insulation' for cables that satisfy the requirements for double insulation, that rather than continue this childish sniping at me across various forums, you take this particular matter up with the JPEL 64 committee.
By all means continue chasing after me, if that floats your boat.

girls,girls!

Afternoon all been a while since I've posted.

at today's job I noticed 10mm meter tails with 6mm bonding and although my first thoughts were tails should be min 16mm and bonding 10mm

so at the risk of sounding stupid I couldn't find the exact reason why this was wrong as the 10mm would take 61amps

could anyone clear this for me?

Why do you say minimum 16mm tails and 10mm bonding?
The minimum size for bonding is 6mm unless PME conditions apply.
There is no lower limit on tail size, other than the availability factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if you want to be pedantic then technically speaking an insulated and sheathed cable may be considered to afford equivalent protection to DI subject to some stipulations (which I can't remember) rather than actually being deemed to be double insulated.

Plus reinforced insulation is a separate thing to DI, although the regulations consider them to be equivalent.

Reply to 10mm meter tails 60amp fuse 6mm bond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net