Discuss 10mm see protected by 60 switchfuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bellendian

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd planned to use 10mm see to supply an annex protected by a Wylex 60a switchfuse.

Cable calls suggest that 10mm swa ref method d is good for 60a, even when using the 70deg tables.

Instructions with the Wylex switchfuse state that termination are only good for 16 to 35mm cables though....

Am I missing something here? Should I be using 16mm see for this even though my calls are telling me 10mm is fine?

Cheers

Hi,

I'd planned to use 10mm see to supply an annex protected by a Wylex 60a switchfuse.

Cable calls suggest that 10mm swa ref method d is good for 60a, even when using the 70deg tables.

Instructions with the Wylex switchfuse state that termination are only good for 16 to 35mm cables though....

Am I missing something here? Should I be using 16mm see for this even though my calls are telling me 10mm is fine?

Cheers
Have you applied the 0.9 correction factor using reference method D for underground cables requiring overload protection?
See section 433 in bs 7671 regarding overload protection.

Last edited:
Hi, volt drop is ok, not a long run and within 5% for distribution cct, I think Ian may have it though, since the 70deg tables list ccc using ref method d as 60a dead, so no room for manoeuvre with the 0.9 factor.
Having said that the cable would be xlpe so actually capable of more...only issue being the 90deg at terminations, but cable clipped direct leading into terminations so in theory ok there as well! Gut instinct saying use 16mm and not worry...but part of me thinking why if 10 will do the job...

Hi, volt drop is ok, not a long run and within 5% for distribution cct, I think Ian may have it though, since the 70deg tables list ccc using ref method d as 60a dead, so no room for manoeuvre with the 0.9 factor.
Having said that the cable would be xlpe so actually capable of more...only issue being the 90deg at terminations, but cable clipped direct leading into terminations so in theory ok there as well! Gut instinct saying use 16mm and not worry...but part of me thinking why if 10 will do the job...
If you plan to have lights then your still restricted to 3% VD as it’s from the origin of the installation to the current using equipment Or lights in this case.
You could plan for 2% VD on your distribution circuit leaving 1% for lights or vice verse.
Unless you’ve got dead on 230 volts at your origin then it’s probably not an issue unless your run is rather large

Hi, design load 55a after diversity. I've gone for 16mm....not worth the risk for the small cost difference between 10 and 16mm cable!
I am trying to understand the reasoning behind the 0.9 correction factor for buried cables though....
The ccc tables are done using an ambient of 20 degc when buried, but the implication of having to factor that down is that the cables are actually expected to be in a warmer ambient than that? That surprises me to be honest, so if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated!

Hi, design load 55a after diversity. I've gone for 16mm....not worth the risk for the small cost difference between 10 and 16mm cable!
I am trying to understand the reasoning behind the 0.9 correction factor for buried cables though....
The ccc tables are done using an ambient of 20 degc when buried, but the implication of having to factor that down is that the cables are actually expected to be in a warmer ambient than that? That surprises me to be honest, so if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated!

There is no heat dissipation possible when the cable is directly buried, and the surface layers of ground will always be warmer than ambient air temps.

I had a similar scenario, opted for the 10mm xple though

I know you probably already know this, so it's just a reminder:
When using 90 deg cable just make sure all the devices connected to the cable are also suitably rated for 90 deg. See 512.1.5 (page 117 BYB)

Reply to 10mm see protected by 60 switchfuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock