Discuss 10mm Tails size in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
During a recent EICR I have found 10 mm supply to the flat
This is fed from a Locked ryefield DB though a meter then a double pole 100 amp
Isolator , the outlet from the isolator is the 10mm 3 core possibly hightuff cable
This is over sleeved into the isolator.

My question is would the suppliers fuse if appropriately sized protect these cables?
And how to ascertain the suppliers fuse size or should this have a separate fused Isolator ?

Short answer is that you'll never know without inspecting the fuse in the carrier. Longer answer - how sure are you that they're only 10mm? Easy to confuse for 16mm. 10mm 6181y is rated to 65A so could well be a 60/63A service fuse in the Ryefield - I'm assuming this is part of a BNO system?

I’m not 100% sure as they have no markings on them and I have just sized from eye , it is probably part of a BNO system as the ryfield feeds many meters and isolators to a group of flats

If they look like High Tuff which would be unusual for that type of circuit they could alternatively be split concentric.

could it be just concentric?

You can compare the size to the 25mm tails here , even so I would need to confirm the fuse size and whether it’s permitted for this fuse to protect those cables

Ermmm...... what size trunking is that? Those don't look big enough to be 25mm tails.

This is one of those ones where the EICR coverage is tricky.

In some flats the BNO knows what is going on and will be making sure their bit is maintained - in others it's just a 'guy' at the management company who has no idea what you are talking about if you pose a question through the landlord regarding their feed to a flat.

Personally, I'd exclude locked cabinet areas from the EICR for flats - or at most comment that the BNO should be consulted for further information.

But afaik, there seems to be no requirements for BNOs to periodically inspect their side of things - at least not in the recent landlord legislation. I see no reason why they shouldn't have to supply to flat owners a certificate on request with all information necessary on the supply to their flat.

Maybe extend it to include proof that all fire systems/emergency lighting are working, cladding has been verified as safe, etc - might as well make them do something for the income they get monthly for failing to ever have a working intercom...:rolleyes:

You can compare the size to the 25mm tails here , even so I would need to confirm the fuse size and whether it’s permitted for this fuse to protect those cables
The best way I have found is to try and fit a 10mm crimp on the end. If it's tight it's 10mm .If it's loose try a 16mm crimp.

Reply to 10mm Tails size in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock