Discuss 10mm threaded rod for outdoor use ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an outdoor installation , heavy duty , hot dipped cable tray as per spec
Must admit i’ve Never used threaded rod outdoors , the standard zinc plated stuff for electrical wholesalers
, I will research more with our suppliers tommor , has any one else had experience using standard zinc plated threaded rod out doors , how is it after a few years in the elements ??
There is no spec on the rod
Thanks in advance

Stainless rods and fixing outdoors, seen galv used in the past and it rusts after a couple of years in the elements.
Yes , was thinking down that line , hence the thread , mentioned it to our engineer today and said he wasn’t sure and would look into it tommor
Thanks for reply

It for network rail , and I’m pretty sure it’s not in their spec looking at all the rusty installations they have , but would like my installation to stay rust free , so stainless it is

Hot dipped galvanised should last for years, and often does so in harsh marine environments, but any damage to the surface accelerates the onset of oxidation. Stainless steel, of the correct grade, is superior in almost every way (except for immersion in salt water)...the only caveat is when installing threaded rod/bolts it is important not to try to speed up the installation by using high-speed power tools, especially on smaller thread sizes, as this can cause galling, particularly when using lock-nuts. Other than that, good quality stainless steel would be my choice every time.
Mini-rant: how many times have you struggled to change a bulb in a security light, to find that the BZP screw holding the lid on has fused to the aluminium body of the light? Replacing that screw with a s/s one completely eliminates that problem, in my experience...so why don't they use one to begin with? Surely, it can't be cost, given the extra penny is hardly excessive? This goes for loads of "outdoor" fittings, and the only common alternative I have seen is nylon bolts, which are better, but have their own degradation issues.

I think it was Owl Night that had the stainless steel buckle clip on the early PIR halogens. They were a gift even on the North Sea coast .
Days of quality are diminishing fast.

Hot dipped galvanised should last for years, and often does so in harsh marine environments, but any damage to the surface accelerates the onset of oxidation. Stainless steel, of the correct grade, is superior in almost every way (except for immersion in salt water)...the only caveat is when installing threaded rod/bolts it is important not to try to speed up the installation by using high-speed power tools, especially on smaller thread sizes, as this can cause galling, particularly when using lock-nuts. Other than that, good quality stainless steel would be my choice every time.
Mini-rant: how many times have you struggled to change a bulb in a security light, to find that the BZP screw holding the lid on has fused to the aluminium body of the light? Replacing that screw with a s/s one completely eliminates that problem, in my experience...so why don't they use one to begin with? Surely, it can't be cost, given the extra penny is hardly excessive? This goes for loads of "outdoor" fittings, and the only common alternative I have seen is nylon bolts, which are better, but have their own degradation issues.
i replace the manufacturers screw with a brass one, greased up.

Reply to 10mm threaded rod for outdoor use ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net