Discuss 10mm twin and earth used as supply tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jack9966

Hi all

Went to a job the other day where they wanted an additional electric shower, they've currently got a PME system with the following usage :

electric cooker 32 amp
shower 32 amp
lights 6
lights 6
---split board---
boiler 6
sockets 32
sockets 32

And they want to add another 9.5kw shower to that.

Checking the board and supply and found they had 100 amp main cut out - 16mm tails to meter - 16mm tails to 60 amp fuse and then 10mm twin and earth to the board.

I've recommended the 10mm t&e and 60 amp fuse be removed and replaced with 25mm tails and 16mm earth, I believe I'm justified to say that due to the high potential usage of the house, I understand the 10mm twin was protected by the 60amp fuse as its current carrying capacity at clipped direct is 64amp however if another shower is being added and much younger tenants will be using the property there is a potential the two showers, cooker and some sockets would be in use.

what do you think ? What would you do ?

Thanks for your time !

Jack

Yes appreciate diversity , but you would still agree with upgrading the tails and earth ? The customer thinks I'm adding work on the job by advising the 10mm shouldn't stay

your customer is right lol.
10mm T&E can carry 63a clipped , 70a free air , and is protected by a 60a fuse anyway.
no point changing the T&E unless your putting in a bigger fuse.

and i doubt their domestic water pressure is good enough to run 2 electric showers simultaineously.

Yes can understand the t&e is ok as its protected by appropriate fuse, but what happens if one day both 9.5kw showers are in use and the third guys watching telly with laptop on etc etc (I understand this is fairly unlikely and therefore applying diversity but there will be at least three uni students living there)

yes , really.
seeing as the t&e is technically a sub-mains fed from a switchfuse.

If you say so... Better make sure you leave a healthy stock of 60A fuses in the meter cabinet then!! :stupid:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes can understand the t&e is ok as its protected by appropriate fuse, but what happens if one day both 9.5kw showers are in use and the third guys watching telly with laptop on etc etc (I understand this is fairly unlikely and therefore applying diversity but there will be at least three uni students living there)

Exactly.

diversity isnt applied to a fixed load like a shower,
as the cable is suitably protected by the correct fuse then all you can do is advise and note

your customer is right lol.
10mm T&E can carry 63a clipped , 70a free air , and is protected by a 60a fuse anyway.
no point changing the T&E unless your putting in a bigger fuse.

Dont think anyone is questioning the adequacy of the protective device for the cable biff...its the adequacy of the cable for the potential load thats being called into question.....
How are ya anyway? been a while...

well...i wouldn`t worry about a telly n laptop....
you say 3 uni students will be in there.....well in that case i cant understand why the second shower.....in fact why have a shower in there at all for em....just wasted space is that......they`d be better taking out the existing shower to free up room for a cupboard for storing chrisps, potnoodles and crates....

Reply to 10mm twin and earth used as supply tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock