Discuss 10mm2 3 core 90 degree cable suggestions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer has ordered a Smeg Symphony SY92IPX9 Induction Range Cooker. Smeg don't supply a cable and specify that the cable you use should be 10mm2 3 core and be able to withstand at least 90 degrees C. The only 10mm2 I can find that is anywhere close is H07RN-F but that is only good to 85C. A few H05 variants available that are good for 90C but only in smaller sizes. Any suggestions/links to where I can buy some?

i think that the HO7RN-F is perfectly adequate. MI should be considered but not necessarily blindly followed.

Does it need to be "3 core" (round) or is T&E with sleeved earth acceptable?
I think the likes of 6242B is rated to 90C and available in 10mm

i think that the HO7RN-F is perfectly adequate. MI should be considered but not necessarily blindly followed.

Agree, but given I don't have any 10mm2 H07RN-F lying about and I'll have to order some cable anyway might as well observe them if I can.

Does it need to be "3 core" (round) or is T&E with sleeved earth acceptable?
I think the likes of 6242B is rated to 90C and available in 10mm

LSF stuff, hadn't thought of that, thanks. I've not seen the cooker yet so not sure how suitable flat cable is. Will go for flex though if there's an option to.

Use the lower rating and cover with Heat resist sleeving, good fro 500degrees.
Example shown is 20mm dia, not certain of the O/D od 10mm Hort.

Hi - H07RNF in that size is available to order from Forum Sponsor -

Superlec also sell the 6242B per-meter.
Seems all of the green/yellow sleeving I can see is 85C max:
But you can get Ye Olde Green sleeving to well over that temperature rating:
I really doubt the terminal block will be that hot though, more likely the rating is for the cable in contact with the rear of the cooker behind oven, etc.

Last edited:
As above, I've only seen silicone insulated flexible cable suitable for those sorts of temperatures. It's quite expensive though.

Years ago, and not that many years ago, all cookers connected with a bit of T&E as allowed by the regs.
As far as I know the regs still allow it (something about appliances which move rarely/infrequently)
Not much has changed in the way they build cookers, and the terminal boxes are always low down (often so low youve got to stand in your head to see them) so out of the way of direct heat.
And I very much doubt that pit outer case of the cooker reaches 90C, or 70C for that matter.

So what has changed to require special cable to connect them?

The cable grips were always designed for the shape of T&E, and getting a larger round flex into them would have been more than challenging.

Years ago, and not that many years ago, all cookers connected with a bit of T&E as allowed by the regs.
As far as I know the regs still allow it (something about appliances which move rarely/infrequently)
Not much has changed in the way they build cookers, and the terminal boxes are always low down (often so low youve got to stand in your head to see them) so out of the way of direct heat.
And I very much doubt that pit outer case of the cooker reaches 90C, or 70C for that matter.

So what has changed to require special cable to connect them?

The cable grips were always designed for the shape of T&E, and getting a larger round flex into them would have been more than challenging.
Harmonisation with Europe I guess....
Double Ovens used to have a 30A 6mm supply. Increasingly, Double Ovens are now stacked single ovens, all nicely rated at 16A for European style radial for each appliance type design.
Cookers were Hotpoint or Creda....not Smeg! That's the only thing I can think of thats changed.

Had a look at the instructions out of interest, oddly it does not seem to give a current rating, but it does mention 15.4kW on the SMEG web site as a total implying 67A.

It can also be wired for 3-phase use (as well as odd 2-phase arrangements).

Most modern four zone induction hobs are able to be wired with two phase's to split the load over the four zones, three phase domestic is restricted (obviously) to amps/phase and the appliance/loadings would not be able to operate on just one phase.

Mine came with a length of 10mm 3c flex and was an absolute PITA to terminate properly without cutting a fecking great chunk out of the wall.
In the end I decided on an approach suitable for behind the cooker in my own home. :D :D :D

Previous to rewiring my kitchen the supply was a 6mm on a 32A MCB ran that way for a year with no issues.

Reply to 10mm2 3 core 90 degree cable suggestions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock