Discuss 11 volts at neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

20al

-
Reaction score
Last leg of domestic ltg circ,2 lt points seperately switched via 2g sw. At one lt point am getting 11v between neutral and sw live when sw is in off position No it fittings connected just connector blocks,any ideas what causes this,thanks

induced voltage due to proximity of conductors?

induced voltage due to proximity of conductors?
Yes agreed remember multimeters will pick up an induced voltage if you have a burglar alarm and set your meter to ac volts then measure across iether the DC + or- of the alarm panel to earth you will get the same affect because some of these cables run along side mains cable.

yes, if the earth is disconnected from the met and bonding pipes, you get a voltage in the earth wires, just like this. I dont think you should be too concerned

Try doing the same measurements with an analogue tester. Digital testers have a very high input resistance which makes them particularly sensitive to the induced voltages you're talking about.

Try doing the same measurements with an analogue tester. Digital testers have a very high input resistance which makes them particularly sensitive to the induced voltages you're talking about.
thats why i stll have my trusty AVO7

I also have a very old analogue which I won't part with. Digital testers are invaluable for some tests but can be very misleading for others. I've watched a few apprentices chasing faults that aren't there cause the digital tester shows a voltage....no offence intended 20al.

Agree, ...Digital testers pick up everything between the test prods and convert it into a reading on the screen, the sensing can be far too sensitive. Analogue multi testers however are slower and will generally read whats actually on the scale you have chosen. Which is why many of the better digital meters, will have an analogue bar-graphs that you are able to see ''trends'' as to what's happening in the circuit/component your testing.... When in doubt or getting confused readings with a digital meter, always have an analogue meter handy to confirm, or make clear what's actually happening.... lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an analogue amp probe that measured resisitance and voltage as well and after 22 years I dropped in when we had the heavy snows and now I have digital
so ho hum

didnt know that about digital and analogue testers thats why this forum is the best i enjoy reading and learning from them keep up the good work bigglen

Reply to 11 volts at neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net