Discuss 110v 16A power outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maestro

I got sent to a job today to move a 110v to above a newly buitl workbench which has is going to have 2 mitre saws

when i got the there where 10 * 16A(5 doubles but each outlet has its own feed) outlets from 1* 5kw fixed transformer with only 2 legs coming directly from so then i thought it must ring(don't really know if this is the done thing considering there is no secondry protection) but it turns out it 2 radails 5-5 with the one needing moved the last leg in each i think its previously been a ring as the middle in the outlet has been drilled out to put a link leg

1. Should i make i ring again

2. should i add secondary protection on the 110v side of the installation some sort of double pole MCB

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...q8OBzcJEaZtRRpzcgVDntjl266XsjJ-hiis_ksSJXV34A

What size cable makes up the two radials?

Is there no overcurrent protection on the tranny? I'd expect to see a couple of DP 16/20A MCBs on a 5kVA tranny at least.

What size cable makes up the two radials?

Is there no overcurrent protection on the tranny? I'd expect to see a couple of DP 16/20A MCBs on a 5kVA tranny at least.

looked 2.5mm 3 core SWA run about 90m and there is only the overload switch on the side of the tranny

As it is the cable is undersized. If it's XLPE its good for roughly 30A but you could pull 40-45A through it all day long without the overload on the tranny being bothered one bit.

Me personally, I'd be looking at installing a little DB at the tranny, 6mm from the tranny to the DB, a main switch, 2 x DP 20A 110V MCBs feeding two 2.5mm radials. I'd also weigh up the option (purely from a cost perspective) of replacing the tranny for one with integral DP overcurrent protection for two circuits.

Have you not asked your boss the best way to go about all of this?

Have you not asked your boss the best way to go about all of this?

dont really have an electrical boss it was i got sent to another yard but it the same company that i work for it is just i am the only spark and it always a struggle to do things the way i want it always can you get it to work well what the problem then

dont really have an electrical boss it was i got sent to another yard but it the same company that i work for it is just i am the only spark and it always a struggle to do things the way i want it always can you get it to work well what the problem then

Without any punctuation I'm really struggling to understand that. I swear I'm not being harsh for the hell of it, I am genuinely struggling! :)

Edit: Read it back to myself a few times now, think I got it:

I don't really have an electrical boss, it was just that I got sent to another yard but it's still the same company that I work for. It's just that I am the only spark and it's always a struggle to get things done the way I want because I'm always faced with: "Can you get it to work? Well... What's the problem then? etc..."

If this is the case, what difficulties are you faced with if for example you said to those in charge "What is there at the moment is potentially against the regulations and is in need of a little further investigation and maybe a bit of tweaking to bring it up to scratch."

Are they that tight?

Last edited:
sorry i

the job was for the company i work for but just in another yard, I am the only spark they carry, it always a struggle to do things the way i want to do it, the argument is always can you get it to work well whats the problem then

I like that punctuation makeover mr Skelton can you do mine also i was talking to my mate bob who said great can he help me like he did you for mash get smash...

Reply to 110v 16A power outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net