Discuss 110v socket circuit advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i’m looking for some advice about how I’d go about installing a 10kva 230-110v transformer and related sockets - would I require a consumer unit for the 110v sockets etc?
I’m wiring a new extension to an existing fabrication workshop and have made a quick drawing.
any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 7E393904-E559-4BF4-899B-C0FADCBECB12.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
Are you looking at 110V as per USA outlets, or (more likely) the 55-0-55 style of safe low voltage used on building sites, etc?

A 10kVA 110V transformer has 44A nominal on the primary, 90A nominal on the secondary, but if you are looking at a fault on 0-55V then it is 180A before your supply OCPD is exceeded in any way. The Hager catalogue suggests a 63A D breaker for a 10kVA single phase transformer, that is going to be hard to meet your Zs for fault clearing (OSG has 0.28 ohms) so you might want to consider a 50A BS88 fuse instead (OSG has 0.79 ohms).

So the short answer is yes. You will need per-socket protection against overload/faults. The simplest option might be a DB, but as above, if you are looking at 55-0-55 then you really should be looking at DP breakers to deal with faults to earth and that is not common for UK systems.

Of course RCD would do the same, but probably it is cheaper to go for DP MCBs given that 55-0-55 is generally considered safe (outside of a swimming pool, etc, which I think we can discount here) for shocks.

DP MCBs are common in the EU though, so it might be worth checking to see if the likes of Schneider, etc, can offer such a board from a UK stockist.

Most of those transformers incorporate fusing within however this is normally to give the secondary conductors fault/overcurrent protection. So yes a secondary board with double-pole rcd protection. Ensure is has a centre tap.

Reply to 110v socket circuit advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net