Discuss 110v tiles saw in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys, I was looking, to if possible purchase a tile saw from the us. Can this be made compatible with our 240v supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

snowhead

snowhead

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why from the U.S, is it something not available in the U.K?
It may look cheap but after shipping Import Duty and Vat and the Dollar / Pound exchange rate it's not always the case.

120v is not a problem but the frequency 60hz verses our 50hz could be a problem depending on how sensitive the controls and motor are to it.

(ps. I've got an american car so I've imoorted quite a lot of car parts over the years)

Avo Mk8

Avo Mk8

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above, subject to frequency not being a problem, you would presumably need a transformer, so factor the cost of that in as well - say £50?

Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it uses an induction motor the frequency will be an issue as it will run slow on 50Hz and possibly overheat. If it has a universal motor the frequency will not make any real difference. It probably won't carry European safety approvals or be intended to run from a centre-tapped supply, if you should happen to want to run it from a yellow site transformer. It will work but might only have single-pole switching whereas toold for UK site use normally have DP for this reason.

Reply to 110v tiles saw in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.