Discuss 110v Transformer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paul71

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I've got a 5kvh Transformer, a basic knowledge of electrics and i want to wire this thing into the 240v supply.

Someones mentioned something called a stepper? Used to reduce the voltage to the transformer, could anyone help me out, is this easy to fit, is it readily available?

I should mention i'm newbie to site also, so please, be gentle

paul

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
G

Guest123

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey.

Ok I'm guessing you mean a 5 KVA transformer, but I dont know exactly what you've got there. Is it 3phase? is it a 230-110 transformer? (big yellow box that weighs a ton)

Give us a bit more info and we'll be able to help you out.

Cheers.

P

paul71

Thanks for the reply Len. Yes its a 5Kva 110v transformer, weighing a bloody ton. Basically i want the thing wired permanently into the mains for ease of use.

Any help?

Cheer paul

G

Guest123

Hey.

At 5KVA I'm guessing it's single phase so ideally it needs it's own dedicated circuit from your Consumer unit noe depending on what you are going to use this thing for it hovers around the 16-20A mark but then getting switchgear sized correctly is difficult. I would say wire it in 6mm T+E and protect it with a 32A MCB. I would suggest using a 32A 3pin blue interlocked socket and plug arrangement.

Although it's rated to 5KVA it's continueous rating will be less than that, somewhere around the 4KVA mark I would have thought.

A 32A circuit is probably a bit OTT but these units can draw a lot of current so it's best to spec high and know it will cope well within it's limits as heat is a factor.

Hope this helps

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to 110v Transformer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom