Discuss 110v transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tank

-
Reaction score
hello all, does anybody know what sort of power factor 110v transformers deal with. would it be a standard 0.85? i want to know what kw output i'd get out of a 3.3kva tranny before i buy it. ta

You need to be careful here as a 3.3KVA tx will only deliver the maximum 3.3KVA for around 5-10mins before shutting down.

The continuous rating of a 3.3KVA tx is around half of it's maximum rating i.e, 1.65KVA for a 3.3KVA one.

Also depends on the nature of the load supplied by the tx & efficiency etc. etc.

trafos are just rated in VA

you'll get up to 3.3kw max depending on the pf of connected loads

as said they can be 'tool rated' (intermittent) or continuous

You need to be careful here as a 3.3KVA tx will only deliver the maximum 3.3KVA for around 5-10mins before shutting down.

The continuous rating of a 3.3KVA tx is around half of it's maximum rating i.e, 1.65KVA for a 3.3KVA one.

Also depends on the nature of the load supplied by the tx & efficiency etc. etc.

I’m confused…. Why?

OK I know things are cheap and crappy now, but 50% down rating seems a bit much.

from experience a 3.3kva tranny is usually rated 3.3 intermittent(approx 30 mins) or 2.5 kva cont.there is info on them usually from maker but thats generaly what I find.

I suppose my confusion is down to I’ve only put them in for permanent installations.
Only ever managed to damage one with overload, and that was done deliberately to show the effects to an apprentice. He had a fire fighting lesson thrown in for free!

As phil d states, read the manufacturers data before you buy!! There is a big difference in the continuous and intermittent rating on these site tool use Tranny's!! Having said that, is this what your talking about, or a permanent pukka type transformer, ...They are completely different animals!!! lol!! The let's say proper transformers, are a much heavier and sturdily built affair, than the building siteTool rated jobbies!!

I’m confused…. Why?

OK I know things are cheap and crappy now, but 50% down rating seems a bit much.

All site tool transformers (which is what I assumed the OP was referring to due to the 3.3KVA stated rating) are only rated at the maximum rating for a short period of 10-15mins. Continuous rating is always declared to be half of the maximum, by the manufacturer of the tx.

Reply to 110v transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock