Discuss 120mm to 25mm connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have a domestic job coming up that requires a 100A supply but it's 260mts from where the metered supply will be installed.
120mm 3 core supply SWA cable (260m long, 120mm 3 core due to voltage drop)
My problem is, how do I connect the 25mm meter tails to the 120mm SWA cable at the meter end & also how would I terminate back to 25mm tails at the consumer unit end?
I know that I could use a300A 3 phase TP & N fused isolator but trying to find a cheaper option for the client.

I have considerd a bus bar chamber or 300A TP&N isolator?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Regards
Tony

I assume to get 120.0 you have used 5% for the vd which gives you no tolerance for the final circuits. Submains are often based on 2% but even at 3% you are looking at 185.0.

the cable calcs were not done by me, they were done by cable supplier
Sounds like they weren't given enough information on the installation, a 5% drop would equate to 120.0 but as I say you have no leeway on the final circuits.

Sounds like they weren't given enough information on the installation, a 5% drop would equate to 120.0 but as I say you have no leeway on the final circuits.
my question was not how to calculate voltage drop but for suggestions on how to terminate from one size to the other (120mm to 25mm) I have options ranging from £300 to £1600+ (each end) but was interested in any advice or opinions.
I would think this something that some one has had to deal with?
The cost is unavoidable but there are options & maybe I've not considered them all?
Any advice is appreciated

I have never seen 120mm used domestically , only ever installed into a 3 phase DB

a home fabricated busbar chamber is probably your cheapest solution?

I would ask the cable supplier for an alternative method aside from a single cable. Parallel or more cables are a better alternative and although you have more cores you have reduced csa.

I would ask the cable supplier for an alternative method aside from a single cable. Parallel or more cables are a better alternative and although you have more cores you have reduced csa.
£40K was the cost for mains supply to the source. The client was told that he could save money & build a meter box on the edge of the property & install his own supply from that source. This was suggested by REC. This is not an install that I relish...

It is one of these odd things that the consumer side has 5% on final circuits but the DNO has different volt-drop rules.

You might be able to find a torpedo style joint that allows 120mm to be connected to 25mm or so for ease of wrangling. Ask the likes of Birkett Electric for advice/suggestions.

The other thing is that cable is expensive. You might well want to look at larger but in aluminium to get the VD and cost within budget, but you really have to take care with the joints and bend radius there. Again, as resin filled joint will alleviate the risk of galvanic corrosion between Al and Cu.

Typically Al is 50% larger for the same resistance so a step up (e.g. 185mm Al is approx 120mm Cu)

For example, you might use 2 paralleled cores of 95mm aluminium to get the same as your copper, but cheaper:

There I would be joining the 4 cores of Al to 4 cores of 16mm copper SWA (maybe 5-core so CPC sized OK for TN-C-S), and then finally paralleling at the switches, etc.

But also check the armour works as CPC in terms of disconnection times, etc, or look at an up-front 300mA delay RCD and an all RCBO CU with DP switching (for example Wylex, Crabtree, or Fusebox).

Junction box lugs and bolt, try to get the lugs with several holes for bolts. If your looking to save money look at a 2 core and a separate earth. But to be honest at the cost of this job what you are saving not putting in an isolator at both ends is probably not much in the grand scheme.
As others said I would query this cable size.

It is one of these odd things that the consumer side has 5% on final circuits but the DNO has different volt-drop rules.

You might be able to find a torpedo style joint that allows 120mm to be connected to 25mm or so for ease of wrangling. Ask the likes of Birkett Electric for advice/suggestions.

The other thing is that cable is expensive. You might well want to look at larger but in aluminium to get the VD and cost within budget, but you really have to take care with the joints and bend radius there. Again, as resin filled joint will alleviate the risk of galvanic corrosion between Al and Cu.

Typically Al is 50% larger for the same resistance so a step up (e.g. 185mm Al is approx 120mm Cu)
Thanks for the reply, The client has taken delivery of the 120mm 3 core SWA. The REC are due on site in about 2 weeks to install their metered 100A supply at the boundry.
No hurry for power as the dwelling is not there yet
I did consider a resin torpedo joint (this may be an option?) but I don't think this option would work with the meter box/cupboard

I did a similar job to this several years ago, using 90mm2 SWA. May have been 4 core.
I fitted ring terminals to the 90mm2 conductors and the 25mm2, bolted them firmly together inside a plastic adaptable box, then filled the box with resin. The adaptable box was smaller than you might think.

Reply to 120mm to 25mm connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net