Discuss 12500 new electricians required. Does this mean even lower wages in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Standards today:
Wiring up some PIRs in Student accommodation.
Me:
You’ve given me 3 core flex, we need 4 core.
Perm Live, Neutral, Earth and Switch Live.
Response:
Nah, just put some black tape round the Earth core and that’s the Perm Live.

Yep seen this loads of times

Just as good seen them regularly wired in t&e with the bare cpc used as the N

2. Unqualified builders, kitchen/bathroom fitters etc shouldn't be allowed to touch electrical work. Should be a criminal offence with a minimum fine of £5000 IMO if you're not qualified and not providing certification. The scam who it's reported to and gathers evidence should get half that money to incentivise them.

For working with gas you MUST pay an annual fee to Gas Safe (there's only one scam)... that's the law... but this does not prevent some very poor workmanship. If you cause an explosion, Gas Safe are NOT responsible for anything. It's the HSE that will be asking you questions... Crazy crazy system !! We don't want to see this in the electrical industry.

The answer is to have far harsher penalties for poor workmanship and/or causing injury etc... put the onus back onto the person doing the work... this will encourage the DIY-er to outsource and encourage professionals to keep up to date with skills and knowledge.

What does a certificate really mean ??

If you have an MOT on your van, does it mean that it's roadworthy ??

...just sayin'

3. Poor quality training in many places for youngsters coming into the trade. Too much emphasis in the big firms/agencies on thrashing through jobs as quickly and cheaply as possible.

The main reason for training youngsters is to keep the NEETs figures down (Not in Employment, Education or Training). It has nothing to do with properly training them... It's a legacy of the Blair/Brown years.

I was chatting to a girl who was working in my local a while ago (no, not like that !!)... she was at college studying 'small animal management'... Full time !! For 2 years !!

The main reason for training youngsters is to keep the NEETs figures down (Not in Employment, Education or Training). It has nothing to do with properly training them... It's a legacy of the Blair/Brown years.

I was chatting to a girl who was working in my local a while ago (no, not like that !!)... she was at college studying 'small animal management'... Full time !! For 2 years !!

Funny you should mention that , I do a part of part time security and event work and often chat to a lot of the students who are working the bar , doing the tickets etc.
I spoke to one guy who graduated after 3 years at university om 'small animal management' and now works at petsathome on £8.21 per hour.
Does it really take 3 years at university to work at petsathome ??

just fitted some LED strip lighting under cupboards in a kitchen. 3 core flex from FCU, cpc blank terminated in driver with no E terminal.

What can you do?
I haven’t worked since 9th of Jan, this job is half an hours drive, £230 a day, though the hours are a bit longer than I would like, 10 and a half.

In Scotland they tried to split new build / refurb commercial electrical installation into two trades. Hanging tray and cable pulling was to be a new semi skilled trade on sparky's mate rates. Lots of industrial action put a stop to this.
In medievil times everybody belonged to a trade guild. You could not just set up and do a trade outside of a guild. Though i dont suppose there was much work for a sparky in those days.

A few years back in Scotland a UK national electrical / mechanical company tried to split electrical installation work in commercial new build and refurb into two trades. Hanging tray and cable pulling would be a new grade of electrical fitter trade paid at sparky mates rates. Industrial action on sites across Scotland put a stop to this plan.

Way back in medieval times trade guilds controlled each trade. You could not just start working in a trade if you were not a guild member. We should go back to this law.

Doing it yourself in your own home, charity work for friends and family could still be permissable. However a non guild member found doing work for cash in any other situation would face a jail sentence.

Personally I've never had it so good.

If you feel under threat from some young wet behind the ears 5 week wonder then maybe you need to take a look at yourself.

I got sent this text a little while ago:
Hi
Looking for a Multi-trade electrician/ plumber for TOMORROW (Friday) for on going work based in EC2 - shoreditch.
MUST be able to: Fix fans, Check electrical shower heads and potentially replace, fix Hot water dispenser , Replace Ballast, Door closure finish
Rate:tearsofjoy:14.28 per hour
Call Maya on 02039170690 ASAP!
Kind regards
Maya - Daniel Owen
And there was I thinking the Middle, Far east was the place for cheap labour.

Personally I've never had it so good.

If you feel under threat from some young wet behind the ears 5 week wonder then maybe you need to take a look at yourself.
Disagree rapparee, we should be looking at the way Electrical Trainee and the like, get qualified, and given Carte Blanche to work for payment in the first place in the first place.

From the report it seems they don't require electricians for some of the roles, ex wife's son is going to Uni to do a degree and hopefully a masters in AI, that's going to be a growth market.

Me personally I will be running courses in survival skills and how to kill and kin another human for food for when the apocalypse happens durine to climate change and when the Chinks blow up all the nuclear power stations they have built around the world.
Careful with language like that in a post @SWD - some people can rightly get offended by the phrase ‘Climate change’ !

Disagree rapparee, we should be looking at the way Electrical Trainee and the like, get qualified, and given Carte Blanche to work for payment in the first place in the first place.
Obviously a proper spark will run rings around these people.

If there is an extra 12500 greenhorns, then that will give the boys who are currently on the bottom rung a chance to step up to foremen and supervisory roles.

As regards to the Electrical Trainee system the genie is out of the bottle.

Reply to 12500 new electricians required. Does this mean even lower wages in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock