Discuss 125A D Type MCB keeps tripping on a heater element circ in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I changed 3 x 125A fuses for 3 x 125A D type MCBs (ABB). They held for a day and then two started tripping, we didn't have any spare 125A, so we fitted 100A C type and the issue has disappeared, can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Is this a TP and N circuit and are you using 3 x SP MCBs? Does the heater bank require a N or is it a balanced load, maybe try a TP MCB

I would start by measuring the running current on each phase.

There is no sensible reason for a 100A C-curve MCB to resist tripping that a 125A D-curve MCB would respond to, short of one or the other being faulty (125/D too sensitive, 100/C not responding as it should).

I would suspect an unfortunate timing of faults behind this. Something downstream with medium/high MCBs and a fault would also trip a MCB upstream (but probably not a fuse, or a suitably configured MCCB) so you should check for that sort of thing.

Also Pete999 has a very important point - in a 3-phase system you really don't want to lose a phase if any loads are 3-phase (motors, etc) so you ought to be looking at linked 3-pole breakers.

Yes, you had 3 separate fuses before. But they ought to have been coordinated with downstream breakers so you get selective and so very little chance of a fuse going on a minor fault.
[automerge]1596131631[/automerge]
Another though is the 125A D-curve had a poor connection and was heating up causing it to trip prematurely, and a change fixed that. But I suspect you would have seen signs of thermal stress there (or found it hot shortly after power off when replacing).

Last edited:
I think the main point here, is not why some fuses or breakers are tripping or blowing quicker than others.

posts 2,3,4 & 5 are all trying to point you in the direction of finding the fault.

I would suggest that you stop straying from the obvious fault (fuses of different types, characteristics and ratings are all blowing)

FIND THE UNDERLYING FAULT and fix it.

Maybe it's an exam question type scenario? .....and we've been getting excited,too early?
:)

72A on phase 1 and 3 and 82A on phase 2, there are 21 elements on the circuit totaling 60kw. This is all correct, we are now getting excessive heat on the 35mm cables.
Are they aluminium 35mm? I would be very surprised to see copper 35mm overheating at 82A!

Even Al would be roughly 23mm Cu equivalent and ought to cope with that sort of current.

Reply to 125A D Type MCB keeps tripping on a heater element circ in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock