Discuss 12v Accessory Wiring Problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me solve my problem. I've searched everywhere and cannot find what I'm looking for. (or I'm searching the wrong things).

I have an accessory that receives power when my ignition is on. What I would like to do is include a switch in this circuit, to break the circuit and cut the power to my accessory. But... When I turn my ignition off and then back on I want this circuit to be closed (my accessory has power). Basically the accessory is always on, unless I manually switch it off with a switch. I don't want to have to switch it back on, but instead it automatically switches back on when I turn the ignition off and on again.

Thanks in advance, I hope I have clearly explained it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you need some sort of latch system, which is always latched On but you switch the latch Off with a momentary pushbutton. Similar to like a starter motor, but linking out the start button.

I can't read the full description of this item, but you could ask the seller if this will do what you want.
Does your 'accessory' take more than 10A?

12v Accessory Wiring Problem upload_2018-3-17_13-7-47 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. A momentary push button, would mean that I would push it and it would spring back on as soon as I release the button ?

Yes, that is correct.

I actually need it to be able to be switched off, for example I would drive somewhere with it switched off via the switch. Then turn the ignition off, and start the car again, without having to touch the switch this accessory would have power.

But maybe it's just not possible what I have in my head.

Thanks

I actually need it to be able to be switched off, for example I would drive somewhere with it switched off via the switch. Then turn the ignition off, and start the car again, without having to touch the switch this accessory would have power.

But maybe it's just not possible what I have in my head.

Thanks

Yes. Whenever you switch on the ignition the 'accessory' will be latched On. The only way you turn it off is by the Momentary Switch or turning off the ignition.
What is the 'accessory'?
What current does it take?

I think you could a achieve this with a relay with both normally open And normally closed contacts. 12v from the ignition feed would go to the COMMON pin on the realy. The NC contact would feed the accessory. The NO feed would go to power the relay coil. The other side of the coild would then connect to ground.

You would also need 12v feed to go via your switch (which would need to be a non latching push button of some kind) to the relay coil.

When you push the button the relay will change over from the NC contact (disconnecting your accessory) to the NO contact (powering it's self). It will hold it's self in this position until the power is killed (ignition off) when in will switch back to the accessory ready for next time you start the car.

I think you could a achieve this with a relay with both normally open And normally closed contacts. 12v from the ignition feed would go to the COMMON pin on the realy. The NC contact would feed the accessory. The NO feed would go to power the relay coil. The other side of the coild would then connect to ground.

You would also need 12v feed to go via your switch (which would need to be a non latching push button of some kind) to the relay coil.

When you push the button the relay will change over from the NC contact (disconnecting your accessory) to the NO contact (powering it's self). It will hold it's self in this position until the power is killed (ignition off) when in will switch back to the accessory ready for next time you start the car.

This sounds pretty much spot on, I appreciate your help. I'm going to have a try and get this to work. I'll let you guys know

At a guess, you want to power a dash cam, which you want to turn off when it suits you. But don't want to forget to turn on again when you slow down?

Naughty.

This might be what you are looking for?

Cartek Fog Light Switch Control Unit | Demon Tweeks - https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/accessories/cartek-fog-light-switch-control-unit

If your accessory is powered via a normally closed relay, then this switch can be used to turn it off. When you turn ignition off it will come back on again.

I've no experience of this unit but it looks like it will do what you want?

Thanks for your help! This is pretty much exactly what I needed.

Run a cable from the battery and include a switch in the circuit, stick a post it up on the windscreen, "don't forget to switch the switch on or off Donk"

my dash cam and sat nave both have fitted smoke lighter plugs. these plug into a 3 way lighter socket that is fed direct from battery( via a 10A fuse, 0f course)so that i an not dependent on the state of the ignition switch.

If you're declaring the camera to your insurance company or relying on it in the event of an incident you may well be on sticky ground if you switch it off selectively.
Do you have to "declare" a dashcam to the insurers? I believe the dash cam saved me from a 50/50 claim when some numpty spun in to me.

Do you have to "declare" a dashcam to the insurers? I believe the dash cam saved me from a 50/50 claim when some numpty spun in to me.
TBH I'm not sure if you HAVE to declare it, the point is if you rely on it and do declare it I believe the insurance company can insist on the footage as part of their conditions. I wasn't suggesting foul play!

If the accident is your fault eat the men card........... as the fire brigade cut you out of the car ;o))))))

My dash cam saved me a fault claim and £350 excess payment...... its also most probably taken a Hungarian private hire driver off the road in London.

Reply to 12v Accessory Wiring Problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock