Discuss 12v Battery. Pump and lighting. Recharge in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you can help me.

I have started a plan to build a small camping kitchen that fits into my 4x4, and comes out at the sight.
I have the plumbing sorted, and quite proud of that, hot and cold water.
My issue has come to the electrical side, running the water pump and lighting.
I have a 12v battery, bit smaller that a car one, a 12v water pump that handles hot water, and a 12v light.
What I would like to do is have the battery set in the kitchen, and run both the pump and light separately. Not sure if I can just connect them both to the battery and have little switches on each. Or do I need something special that fits to the battery ( think like a multi plug bay you would have connecting your TV, DVD player, lamp)
I am also mainly concerned on the charging of the battery.
What I was hoping to do was have a way I could just plug it into the cigarette lighter when driving out to the sight, or when it starts to die. I have even considered solar options?
All the things I've seen online, can't really suit what I need.
So to recap.
I need the pump and light to run separately, and maybe in the future usb chargers, sound system.
It needs to be able to recharge in the middle of nowhere, off my car while it's running?
The closest thing I have found is an inverter thing, but it changes it to 220v and is a bit expensive.
Hopefully I can do everything DIY without having to buy specialty things.
On the sound side, I was just going to add a stripped Bluetooth speaker, again, keeping it charged up is the issue.
Hope I'm in the right place, and someone may be able to help!!!
Thanks.

Go to your local caravan spares shop
They should have a nice panel with switches for lights, pump etc.
The switches are often a small circuit breaker so you have not got to deal with extra fusing.

A split charge relay is what you want.
It connects the battery to the car start battery when the engine is running and disconnects when you stop the engine.

Thanks for the info guys!
Unfortunately, where I am, no one has heard of a split charge relay, and I can't get anything shipped.
I'm thinking if I stick a heavy duty switch between the starter battery and the second battery, and switch it off when the car is off, and on when I'm running the car, that might work? Not ideal I know.
I've got the fuse box now, so all the bits will come off that.

Thanks for the info guys!
Unfortunately, where I am, no one has heard of a split charge relay, and I can't get anything shipped.
I'm thinking if I stick a heavy duty switch between the starter battery and the second battery, and switch it off when the car is off, and on when I'm running the car, that might work? Not ideal I know.
I've got the fuse box now, so all the bits will come off that.

split charge relay is basically a heavy duty relay that does the same job as the switch you are describing. relay contact close when engine is running and open when not.

split charge relay is basically a heavy duty relay that does the same job as the switch you are describing. relay contact close when engine is running and open when not.
Or sometimes called a VSR Voltage Sensitive Relay... from memory closes if voltage >13.7v and opens at <12.8v or thereabouts.

Often used on boats too... that have engine batteries and house batteries... Is there a marine type shop in Zim ?? Must be on Lake Zim I'd have thought... it's massive !

Reply to 12v Battery. Pump and lighting. Recharge in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net