Discuss 12v lighting in a bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ian hall

Have been asked to fit recessed lights in a bathroom. The mains will be in a joint box in the loft so would you worry about fitting an rcd?

Thanks

Ian

I thought a selv circuit were aloud in the bathroom and it would not be possible to touch 240v, as it's not a re-wire your not touching existing circuits.

I normally use those shower ones with the glass cover when a light is near a shower,althogh the new fire rated downlights have that rubber seal between the lamp and the fitting and the lamps have a glass cover,so you would have to be pretty keen to get a shock!!!

Back to the question!, does it need an RCD??
For me i'd say not with the mains above ceiling and out of the way and being 12v lights, but what does everyone else think on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
12vSELV in a special or other location does not need any special consideration providing the source of the mains power is outside of the room. Iwould normally recommend 230v fittings to avoid transformers and that would rquire consideration but seperate extra low voltage; lick the fingers and let the tingly times roll!!

If they were GU10 fittings then an rcd would be required. Low voltage lightd still give a better light in my opinion but thats another story.

Ian

I think that ANY equipment installed in a bathroom must be RCD protected regardless of whether its 12 or 230V.

Page 69 OSG.

I think I would agree.

Hager have produced a document on their new 17th edition boards that also qoutes the use of RCD protection in bathrooms and SELV (attached)

osg relates to 230v circuits. wheras i would use IP fittings to protect against corrosion if they were selv if the transformer is in the ceiling then its outside the zone. Its not a new circuit; I don't see the necessity.

All circuit in a bathroom are now required to be on an rcd , but you are not putting a new circuit in the bathroom are you ? if they have a light already , you are just changing the light for a different light , all be it you are putting in spots . so as long as you put in the right spots with the right ip rating you should be fine( what do you lads think??????)
or you could just run the sw live + n through and RCD fuse spare in the loft before your 1st spot..

Its a bit of a funny situation , like today , i went to a small job , bathroom light not working , 2D fitting , turned out it was a faulty pull switch which was also in the bathroom, fix the pull 5 mins , so do i now need to put the circuit on an RCD as i was last to work on it ??? I never

osg relates to 230v circuits. wheras i would use IP fittings to protect against corrosion if they were selv if the transformer is in the ceiling then its outside the zone. Its not a new circuit; I don't see the necessity.

The OSG does not specify circuit voltage.

Quote:

"all the circuits of the location must be protected by 30mA RCD's."

If the circuit is being repaired or switch replaced then no, but as new lighting is being installed, then the way i see it is yes.

It's my understanding that 12v circuit is fine, i will check. Now your argument for it being an existing circuit doesnt work for me as it's a special location and if you are touching any special location you must upgrade it to the latest regs. :confused: I hate the grey areas, ive even had 2 different answers on things from 2 different people at the Nic before:D

The OSG does not specify circuit voltage.

Quote:

"all the circuits of the location must be protected by 30mA RCD's."

I'am sure i have read a seperate thing somewhere specifying selv are ok. Will have to find it

The circuit (230) isn't in the bathroom, it's in the ceiling. The circuit (12) in the bathroom is not connected to the "mains" and is SEPERATE extra low voltage designed for its lack of danger

I agree Tiger, so at the end of the day, as this needs notifying i would just do it.

Could easily be done with an RCD spur that covers bathroom lighting only.

Fair enough jeremy, but i think ill stick to the regs:)

in particular: 701.411.3.3

Reply to 12v lighting in a bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock