Discuss 12v mr16 Led in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hiya
Never fitted a 12v LED spot lamp yet, will I need to change out the transformer to a driver or is it self contained in the lamp ? Are they any good compared to mains gu10s.

Quoting a led upgrade and can swop out bathroom fittings from 12v to 240 as the customer wants a few lamp types as poss. Can't change inline shower light fan kits though so I'm stuck with an 12v lamp base in those

Cheers

You can usually leave the transformer as long as it will run the lower wattage lamp. The 12v LED lamps are much the same, you just have the added complication of a transformer that could fail at some point.

You would probably find that even if the lamp works with the existing transformer that the lamp will have a shorter life.
standard transformers supply high frequency ac voltage and LED drivers supply stabilised dc voltage.
most 12V LED MR16s indicate that they should run off a constant voltage supply, however ac is very much not constant voltage.

Hi,

As Richard says you need drivers. I swopped out some in my kitchen, I think the drivers were about £6 each from CPC; so it won't break the bank.

Regards.

Reply to 12v mr16 Led in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I converting a van to a camper and wanted lights for underneath the kitchen cabinet. I purchased this led light strip for Home Depot...
Replies
Views
Using these lights (wired in parallel) 6 x 2W is ok to use a 12V constant voltage 16W led driver Aurora AU-LED16T. My question is they are a G4...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post so be gentle... I've recently decided to replace the MR16 50W Halogen bulbs in the bathroom with 5W LED ones. I'm aware of the...
Replies
Views
I'm about to change 40 x MR16/G5.3 fittings, do away with transformers and replace with mains GU10 Lamp holders double insulated and GU10 LEDs. I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Quick question regarding 5x MR16 (Gu5.3) Led bulbs in downlighters. The customer used to use halogen but has moved over to LED. They had...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock