Discuss 12V Proximity Sensor help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stu_C

Hi all
I wonder if you guys can help me and point me in the right direction, we are after a 12V Proximity sensor that is waterproof to put on the back of a truck, when a solid item gets within the sensors range we want it to trigger a Light/LED, I know how to wire it up but struggling to find the right type of sensor for the job.

The main things we need are
1: waterproof
2: 12V
3: to be able to adjust the sensor range

I have found a youtube video of the type of the type of sensor layout we need (not necessary this big)

Any help would be great!

@LeeH I don't know what he will do with a prox' sensor with a 4mm max detection distance and only can see metal conductive objects?.. o_O

@stu_C ...unfortunately retrofitting your own kit is not as simple as you may think these types of sensors are not suitable for many reasons, you would need a specificately designed monitoring kit for this, the sensors would tend to be ultrasonic or radio waves, see link..
Veba Valet+ Rear Parking Sensor System - http://www.halfords.com/technology/parking-sensors/parking-sensors/veba-valet--rear-parking-sensor-system

Alternatively a camera option with monitor is as good but can be a tad more expensive.

Last edited:
Hi all
@darkwood I think the parking sensor route could be the way to go but due to the application we need the display would be too far away to be any good for us, what I am thinking the parking sensors with just the Speaker, I presume it would only be two wires to the speaker, do you think I could cut it off and put a LED onto it instead or to a relay to a LED?

I know the parking sensors have different speed Beeps so do you think it would flash the LED depending how close you get?

You need a similar system where the control hub has a volts free relay, the above was just a quick suggestion and I have no details on it but as it comes with the speaker I assume its signal output and not what your after.. just ring any vehicle accessories shop and explain what you need and what you want to do but you will need a vehicle kit as they require quite a bit of adjustment for things like towbars etc and anything else that may give false alarms.

Without knowing what the speaker outputs dish out then cannot say its what you want as you want a lamp to operate, like I said before, you need a unit with a relay output 'voltsfree' that is configerable or on a fixed state change when the prox' sensers detect an object, these budget cheap ones are probably not suitable unless you can go with a speaker alert as they were design for... for that price though it way be worth getting one and experimenting with it.

How about one with a display with inbuilt buzzer... no lamp but you have a visual output to look at. DMS450 - Micro Dolphin Display Parking Sensors - http://www.dolphinparkingsensors.co.uk/product/micro-parking-sensors-with-display-dms450

Reply to 12V Proximity Sensor help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net