Discuss 12volt Garden Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Sorry if this a very basic question

But under your current electrical regulations are 12volt circuit exempt ?

I have a 230volt socket outlet circuit in my garden tested and approved

I wish to install garden lighting ..the whole of which is plug and play

I plug the transformer into the socket,the output side of the transformer is 12volt,into this I plug a 12volt photocell with inbuilt shut of timer from this I can then plug in cables going out to the individual lights ..the whole being 12volt.

As the circuit has no risk of shock is the 12volt part of the circuit excempt from your current 17th edition.

Although I employed a qaulified electrician to install the sockets 6months ago ..do i need him to test the plug and play or are they deemed safe and this being I can simply install without breaking your regulation ?

Thanks

P

12V circuits are not exempt from the wiring regulations, there are specific sections with additional requirements for outdoor lighting installations (sec.714) and extra low voltage lighting installations (sec 715).
The specific requirements are generally applicable to fixed wiring of these installations, but the protective measures required should still be covered for a plugged in system.
It is possible that the designers of the system have covered all the regulatory requirements, but confirmation should be obtained beforehand to ensure you are not installing a poor system.
Outdoor lighting installations in England do not require notification to building control but they do need to comply with the wiring regulations.

Incorporating a plug into a circuit doesn't circumvent the regs, or more pertinently the principles and dangers of electricity. If this socket is designed for an appliance such as a hedge trimmer or lawnmower to be plugged in temporarily while it's being used, that doesn't imply that it's also fine to permanently extend it into a lighting circuit.

Ok

But if the socket was installed by an approved electrician .. and the lighting system is designed to be plugged into a socket the mains side of the transformer has a moulded plug and the Transformer is IP68
Ive been told its fine

The loading is only going to be around 100watts and all the cabling supplied has been subjected to volt drop calculations as I have already contacted the company about this.They come in various lengths.

Are there any regulations or tests that an electrician would have to do on the 12volt side to make it compliant ?...Im 99% certain not as its exempt from building regulations.The 12volt connections are also all IP68 and all the light fittings are IP68

p

right. it's plugged into a socket. the socket outlet is part of the fixed wiring and comes under BS7671, anything you plug in is technically a portable appliance such as a hair dryer and is not within the remit of BS7671. end of.

The approved electrician installed a socket which an appliance such as a hedge trimmer or lawnmower can be plugged in temporarily; that is not carte blanche to do what you like with the circuit from that point whether it has a plug on it or not. It might be fine, but just because an approved electrician installed the socket doesn't guarantee that.

ok but if I called you in to carry out a test on the 12volt cabling what test could you do ?

Switch it on inspect the connections maybe//

I thought all your remit was on the mains side with your meters etc.what test would yo do with your test meters on this 12volt side ?

Do I call in an electrician to check my plug and play 12volt lighting even though I have a cert for the socket I got an approved electricain to put in ..I dont want to waste a guys time ..

can't see what all the fuss is about. if it was a string of plug-in Xmas lights, nobody would hesitate.onlyconcern is whether the plug-in power 12V supply is suitably IP rated for the environment.

can't see what all the fuss is about. if it was a string of plug-in Xmas lights, nobody would hesitate.onlyconcern is whether the plug-in power 12V supply is suitably IP rated for the environment.
Exactly - you can't just assume anything you plug in will be safe just because an approved electrician installed the socket.

Since the OP is concerned about compliance with the regulations he should be aware of the requirements.
However most of them should have been addressed by the designers of the lighting system (assuming it is from UK or Europe).
The IP rating of the lights and circuit are sufficient, the less than 100W is compliant, the transformer should be SELV and a safety isolating transformer, short circuit proof and comply with BS61558-2-6 and have this symbol on it.SELV symbol.jpgIt should be positioned where it will not overheat or pull on the cables.
The minimum size of the conductors (if <3m) should be 1mm², (this is unlikely on a plugged in system.)
The lights should be positioned such that they do not pose a risk of fire and not exceed 90 degrees C.
If the system complies with those requirements then it is probably OK to use.

Reply to 12volt Garden Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net