Discuss 13 Amp Radial Circuit - with added joy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shazbutz

Back to my cat pee soaked floors and a RCBO protected radial cirucit that is giving grief. RCBO symptoms described by the customer, "it's a nuisance and keeps tripping so we just flick it back up, sometimes it's OK first time sometimes it can take 3 or 4 goes before it resets, sometimes we have to wait an hour so so and it resets, but now it won't stay up at all"!

Quick IR test was appaling. Split the circuit at mid point, 3 sockets on either side.This point, by luck, was an addition to the original circuit with two 4mm T&E to the accessory. One side OK the other with poor IR. (rural location and lots of signs of rodents as well as incontinent cats).

Odd thing was that at every other accessory a single cable appeared from under the floor. Lifting the floorboards on the knackered side I found the 4mm T&E had a JB under each socket with a spur connected to the accessory. This was true on the good side of the ciruit I found out later by pulling another board up.

Other than ease of getting a single 4mm cable up and behind 12" skirting board, I can't see an advantage. Only a pain in the rear for testing the legs of the circuit had I not been fortunate enough to break in at the addition.

Am I missing anything in terms of any advantage in this approach??

BTW, at the point of failure was a desicated rat that had droped off the cable!!!

extremely common way of wiring back then - the spider!
Many properties of that age right up until the 70's that I test have it wired that way, Ive always supposed it was due to having to chase/clip less especially seeing theres usually only enough room for 1 cable neatly on the side of door frames.
In fact a house I went the other day had 18 points on the ring with a N-N continuity break (only one ring in 3 bed house), Only 2 of these appeared to be 'on the ring'- 1 turned out to be a spur on spur, the other had 4 cables in! The whole of the upstairs was laminate floored over with amazing amounts of furniture/crap.

What hope in hell did I have of finding this! fortunately I was only testing, some poor sod will get lumped with that!

Reply to 13 Amp Radial Circuit - with added joy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock