Discuss 138/240Y System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cookie

-
Reaction score
How would everyone feel about a 240Y system in a building with everything connected Line-Line?

I personally like (want) this system. No TN-C, TN-C-S vs TN-S debate. No earthing/bonding debates of how to keep the neutrals separate in a multi source or generator system. No fire or shock risk from a broken PEN/MEN. No need to keep track of live and neutral in a circuit.

Just asking curious.

This was quite common in mainland Europe at one time but AFAIK never used in the UK. It requires double-pole fusing and switching for single-phase loads, which we do not generally adopt, and reduces the overall system voltage by sqrt(3) meaning more copper is needed for the same power. If you are not going to use the neutral then there's no real point distributing that, so you might as well call it a delta supply. Ground a centre-tap on one winding and you've got the US system, which is ingenious and versatile but through UK eyes, when we're used to working with 400V, the amount of current you need to do anything useful seems terribly cumbersome.

You seem to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you don't accept the risk of a MEN / CNE, then make it TN-S and use 5 wires everywhere. You'll still use less copper than lowering the line-line voltage to 240V and getting rid of the neutral.

But there is a point in distributing it (as a PE) in an effort to create a low impedance path to facilitate the operation of over current devices.

TN-S still has the risk of open neutral.

But I will agree with you, the copper will be greater. Perhaps double is not more in some cases.

Sure, running single-phase loads line-line eliminates the possibility of damage by overvoltage from a broken neutral. I've seen plenty of that in my line of work. But in TN-S the impact is an economic one, not one of shock protection. Which is cheaper, replacing stuff broken by overvoltage or running heavier cables? There is a possible incidental benefit of imposing double-pole OCPD and switching on things out of necessity, although that could be introduced in regulations even for 1P+N+E.

The case for / against PME on grounds of shock risk is separate.

Well, if you are going to damage equipment, you will also shock on a TN-C-S.

And switches don't have to be double pole, only the over current and disconnection (for service) devices.

And I don't mean to be a hard head lol, but in the US this system would actually save copper. And fix so many stray current/voltage issues.

Well, if you are going to damage equipment, you will also shock on a TN-C-S.

And switches don't have to be double pole, only the over current and disconnection (for service) devices.

In the UK they would have to be DP switches to satisfy the regulations.

Because you would still have a dangerously high potential to earth at the lamp fitting.

So mr.homeowner could inadvertently touch something lethal changing a blown lamp.

https://shop.------.org/bs-7671-201...ions-iet-wiring-regulations-18th-edition-blue

Against copywrite to publish them online, however if your interested you can purchase them.

I have copy of BS7671, just need the number which points me to the code section requiring double pole switching.

A light switch generally does not provide isolation it is a functional device to control a light.

Exactly my thoughts and how the NEC views it. Control vs a disconnecting means are two different things.

As is I doubt there is much concern with a GU24 socket.

138/240Y System 1565899000512 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to 138/240Y System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock