Discuss 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I've been asked to install 13amp supply for a hot tub around 30m from the house.

Supply to property TN-C-S

Plan is to run a 4mm 2 core swa from a 16 amp mcb in the CU to a IP66 RCD switched fused spur (Aprox 25m from house)

Use the armour as the earth until it reaches the Rcd spur in which case I will heat shrink swa and then fit stuffing gland to terminate.

Earth rod with 10mm to the RCD spur and TT the rest.

Any advice would be great

4mm - 13A???

Earth rod - why?

I would fit a socket if the customer is having a hot tub company deliver it as they will only want to see a socket.

I’ve had a few call outs where they have used a standard plug & socket, couldn’t remove the plug as it had melted onto the socket..

One of them shouldn’t have been on a 13a plug, as it was rated at about 3.2 kw.
The hire company had used a commando plug to 13a converter

Hi, I've been asked to install 13amp supply for a hot tub around 30m from the house.

Supply to property TN-C-S

Plan is to run a 4mm 2 core swa from a 16 amp mcb in the CU to a IP66 RCD switched fused spur (Aprox 25m from house)

Use the armour as the earth until it reaches the Rcd spur in which case I will heat shrink swa and then fit stuffing gland to terminate.

Earth rod with 10mm to the RCD spur and TT the rest.

Any advice would be great
Heat shrink the SWA? I take it you mean connect the armour to the Earth terminal in the FCU? Advice use a banjo on the SWA and use some suitably sized wire from there to the terminal, If I read your intentions correctly that is not the way to install this SWA, have you done any calculation for cable sizing. or is this a stab in the dark job. a stuffing gland is not the correct method, well you did ask.

For give me if I'm wrong on the earthing arangement.

I have around 80m of 4mm swa in my garage that needs using up should have stated that in original post.

I'm going to have to ring up the hot tub company as it only say on there website 13amp supply. Could really do with a power spec

For that length of run you will need 6mm, based on a load towards the maximum 13 amp.
If you really want to use the 4mm then you will need to double up the cores

you will probably find out from the tub supplier/manufacturer that it come with an integrated 10mA RCD in the mains lead. i get the VD on 4.0mm to be 4.3V so it's adequate for the job. ( 11 x 13 x 30 )/1000.

Reply to 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock