Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, I've been asked to install 13amp supply for a hot tub around 30m from the house.

Supply to property TN-C-S

Plan is to run a 4mm 2 core swa from a 16 amp mcb in the CU to a IP66 RCD switched fused spur (Aprox 25m from house)

Use the armour as the earth until it reaches the Rcd spur in which case I will heat shrink swa and then fit stuffing gland to terminate.

Earth rod with 10mm to the RCD spur and TT the rest.

Any advice would be great

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Charlie_

-
Arms
What rating is the hot tub?
I usually do away with fcu option and just keep it all at 16amp..
obviously still have RCD protection

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
What's this obsession with hot-tubs? ....are they for people who won't have a bath...unless they have a glass of plonk in their hand? ;)

Had three to look at,in last week...one out of action a while...looked like a jumbo bowl of pea soup :rolleyes:

N

Nigel

4mm - 13A???

Earth rod - why?

I would fit a socket if the customer is having a hot tub company deliver it as they will only want to see a socket.

Charlie_

-
Arms
4mm - 13A???

Earth rod - why?

I would fit a socket if the customer is having a hot tub company deliver it as they will only want to see a socket.
I’ve had a few call outs where they have used a standard plug & socket, couldn’t remove the plug as it had melted onto the socket..

One of them shouldn’t have been on a 13a plug, as it was rated at about 3.2 kw.
The hire company had used a commando plug to 13a converter

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi, I've been asked to install 13amp supply for a hot tub around 30m from the house.

Supply to property TN-C-S

Plan is to run a 4mm 2 core swa from a 16 amp mcb in the CU to a IP66 RCD switched fused spur (Aprox 25m from house)

Use the armour as the earth until it reaches the Rcd spur in which case I will heat shrink swa and then fit stuffing gland to terminate.

Earth rod with 10mm to the RCD spur and TT the rest.

Any advice would be great
Heat shrink the SWA? I take it you mean connect the armour to the Earth terminal in the FCU? Advice use a banjo on the SWA and use some suitably sized wire from there to the terminal, If I read your intentions correctly that is not the way to install this SWA, have you done any calculation for cable sizing. or is this a stab in the dark job. a stuffing gland is not the correct method, well you did ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason for heat shrink was to drop the pme earth at the FCU

As in the regs it recommends not to use PME earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For give me if I'm wrong on the earthing arangement.

I have around 80m of 4mm swa in my garage that needs using up should have stated that in original post.

I'm going to have to ring up the hot tub company as it only say on there website 13amp supply. Could really do with a power spec

Charlie_

-
Arms
For that length of run you will need 6mm, based on a load towards the maximum 13 amp.
If you really want to use the 4mm then you will need to double up the cores

Welchyboy1

-
Arms
Esteemed
For these plug in hot tubs, Is there a minimum distance the socket must be from the side of the hot tub, obviously zones apply, is it the same as a bath,

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom