Discuss 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It will be Sat on decking with around 2/3ft surrounding before it turns to grass again

Never done one myself, but it’s a common question raised on here. As said, I read before that some advise with pms supply, to use supply earthing facility AND rod near tub.
Perhaps more learned members can comment on that?

Having come off the phone to a American bloke who could not not me the power raiding except it pulls 12.8 amps when pumps start.

My installation

16amp mcb from CU to a rcd ip enclosure with rcd fitting inside (drop pme at this point)

Pick up new TT earth

To 25amp rotary is lsolator to the hot tub

Tescos and BM seem to selling a lot of LayZspa hot tubs at the moment.
The Hot tub itself is inflatable, like a large paddling pool.
The pump/heater/bubble maker is a separate unit with quite a long lead which has a 10mA in line RCD.

The pump unit is waterproof, though I have not found an IP rating. The unit has to be next to the tub to connect the pipework and so the controls can be reached.

is the TT earth just cos of the distance from the house? my mate got a jacuzzi hot tub installed a couple of years ago. they insisted on an electrician being on site when it was delivered. but i believe the standard install is just swa from the tub to an isolator switch nearby, and then fed back to the CU with RCD protection.

So if you need to TT will be based on whether if the PEN drops out is there a risk of a return path, from a fault through your body to true earth.

I have a hot tub and I have a PME but I have not TT'd it. The hot tub is all plastic and there is not extraneous conductive parts or exposed conductive parts anywhere near. The water heater is double insulated.

So if there is a fault there is no metallic parts for the live conductor to touch and bring the hot tub to live potential and the water heater is double insulated and it does not actually come into contact with water. It surrounds the plastic pipe that the water travels through.

So in my case installing an earth rod is a completely pointless exercise.

Hi, I've been asked to install 13amp supply for a hot tub around 30m from the house.

Supply to property TN-C-S

Plan is to run a 4mm 2 core swa from a 16 amp mcb in the CU to a IP66 RCD switched fused spur (Aprox 25m from house)

Use the armour as the earth until it reaches the Rcd spur in which case I will heat shrink swa and then fit stuffing gland to terminate.

Earth rod with 10mm to the RCD spur and TT the rest.

Any advice would be great
Thanks for the dumb all I asked was how you would get the 10mm into the spur/FCU an answer would have been sufficient if its advice you want from me then forget it.

Reply to 13amp Hot tub supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock