Discuss 13amp multi plug extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve198t

DIY
Reaction score
I want to purchase a 10 socket multiplug extension that's 13amps. Does that mean I cant go above 13amps on the whole 10 sockets? I'm thinking even if i put 4 3amp plugs on it I can't use the other 6 so seems pointless having 10.

Tia

I want to purchase a 10 socket multiplug extension that's 13amps. Does that mean I cant go above 13amps on the whole 10 sockets? I'm thinking even if i put 4 3amp plugs on it I can't use the other 6 so seems pointless having 10.

Tia
The reason of the 13Amp limitation is that the plug you plug into a socket outlet to feed the multiplug extension will have a Max loading of 13 Amps governed by the 13Amp fuse in this plug top.
The safest option I can advise you to do, is to get some extra 13Amp Socket outlets installed at the point of usage, extension leads, in my opinion are a last resort, and are subject to damage, and will be a fire hazard if left coiled up, during use.

Is this the same project as your other post?

For this, I would consider having a dedicated circuit installed for the equipment you mentioned.

FYI.
A peice of equipment with a 5A fuse does not run at 5A. It’s just a step down fuse so if there is an overload, the 5 will pop before the 32A in the consumer unit. (Or whatever it is. May be a 16A radial for all I know)

Is this the same project as your other post?

For this, I would consider having a dedicated circuit installed for the equipment you mentioned.

FYI.
A peice of equipment with a 5A fuse does not run at 5A. It’s just a step down fuse so if there is an overload, the 5 will pop before the 32A in the consumer unit. (Or whatever it is. May be a 16A radial for all I know)
Yes same project but scrapping the idea of connecting 2 extensions to each other and just stick to the 1 extension that I found long enough.

It doesn’t matter. If I understand the situation, you have a plug in extension lead running from the house. That lead will have a 13amp fuse in its plug.
that’s the limit of what you can run at any one time.
nothing you have mentioned uses a high degree of power. You haven’t mentioned electric heating, or anything like that.
Have a look at the running current for each device. There should be a label, of it will be in the manual. Add the loads together.
I will be verysurprised if you anywhere near 13amp.

Some of those multi-plug extensions are only rated at 10A, despite the plug having a 13A fuse.

I've also seen domestic extension reels which are only rated at 5A - great when someone puts a 13A fuse in the plug!

The Kaoss pad and the MiniNova will each use around 0.25A. The monitor and synth maybe 0.5-1A each, average PC and sound system 1-2A each. I would expect your total load to be around 5-6A for everything, well within the 13A maximum.

One other factor to note when connecting many small items via one 13A plug is the total earth leakage. It should not be allowed to exceed 3.5mA, to limit the risk in the event of the earth connection in the plug coming loose. These six items won't reach 3.5mA, but a system containing 30 small power supplies each using 0.25A, although well within the available 13A load, might do so.

I've also seen domestic extension reels which are only rated at 5A - great when someone puts a 13A fuse in the plug!

When coiled into the reel you have a very large inductor and are trying to pump a lot of current through it. It heats up enough to melt the insulation on the cable. Been there, done that...

I would never buy a wind up cable reel since then (about 40 years ago) - although I understand its limitations the rest of the family don’t.

When coiled into the reel you have a very large inductor and are trying to pump a lot of current through it. It heats up enough to melt the insulation on the cable. Been there, done that...

I would never buy a wind up cable reel since then (about 40 years ago) - although I understand its limitations the rest of the family don’t.

Yes, very few people fully unwind them.

It's not a wind up cable, 4m in length which is about the length I need, going by what's been said I think I'll go for it and just keep an eye on the temp for overheating.

Steve with respect, you asked, you were given the correct advice from many sources, yet you have chosen to ignore, begs the question why bother? you obviously made your mind up what you were going to do before you asked.
And I'm going by what everyone has said. 1 said I'll be way under the 13amp, another said I'm not using anything high powered like a heater. Some said extension leads are more like 10amp and not 13 but will still be under that. It's not on a reel so won't be a factor to worry about. Did I get the wrong impression, is what I want to do a big no?

As above, you shouldn't have a problem running several low powered items from your multiway extension.

As far as the current flowing in the circuit is concerned, the inductance of a mains cable on a reel is near zero. Since the current in the line and neutral conductors is equal, but flowing in opposite directions around the reel, each amp-turn of magnetomotive force produced by the line conductor is cancelled out by one from the neutral, making the cable non-inductive overall*.

The heat dissipated by a cable is purely a result of its resistance*, and is exactly the same whether it is wound on a reel or lying along the floor in a straight line. The coiled cable will stand only a fraction of the current without overheating because of the very much higher thermal resistance from the inner turns to the atmosphere. If the cable is wound tightly enough to prevent any useful convection cooling to ambient between turns, the dissipative surface of a coil three layers deep may be only 1/3 of that when unrolled, with the middle layer experiencing more than double the temperature rise.

*These do not necessarily hold good at radio frequencies.

Reply to 13amp multi plug extension? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net