Discuss 14 from a ceiling fan to 12 on a 20 amp circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mwheelock

DIY
Reaction score
I know that 14 shouldn't be used on a 20 amp circuit. But it's only from a ceiling fan to a switch. I'm not even totally sure which breaker the power is from. I think it may be a 20 amp though. Is this ok being a ceiling fan doesn't use a lot of draw?

I know that 14 shouldn't be used on a 20 amp circuit. But it's only from a ceiling fan to a switch. I'm not even totally sure which breaker the power is from. I think it may be a 20 amp though. Is this ok being a ceiling fan doesn't use a lot of draw?
Mwhellock welcome to the forum and yes that shouldn’t be an issue and you might be surprised that it is on a 15 amp breaker since it’s part of your lighting circuit.

Mwhellock welcome to the forum and yes that shouldn’t be an issue and you might be surprised that it is on a 15 amp breaker since it’s part of your lighting circuit.

I rerouted it to the switch. I turned off the breaker it was connected to and ran it to a switch that is on a 20 amp circuit, I believe anyway as I turned off multiple breakers doing this. Then after I was finished realized what I did and got nervous for a second. Then thought about the draw a ceiling fan uses and realized it's probably ok but wanted to be sure.

I rerouted it to the switch. I turned off the breaker it was connected to and ran it to a switch that is on a 20 amp circuit, I believe anyway as I turned off multiple breakers doing this. Then after I was finished realized what I did and got nervous for a second. Then thought about the draw a ceiling fan uses and realized it's probably ok but wanted to be sure.
Your ceiling fan probably doesn’t draw but maybe 3 amps max so I wouldn’t loose no sleep over that fan. It’s not likely going to run all the time anyway

Reply to 14 from a ceiling fan to 12 on a 20 amp circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net