Discuss 1653 fluke error in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martinh287

Hi guys I use a fluke 1653 mft for testing at work. We work on mainly TT systems so when zs testing it is on no-trip. I don't have no instructions for this tester and more and more increasing I am getting a error 5 when zs testing. Can anyone tell me what a error 5 is and what a error 4 is as well. I have having some issues with the test button on the live probe and don't know if this is causing my error 5's

Thanks for that I will have look when I get back to civilisation. Has anyone had repeated error 5 codes on the fluke

[FONT=&amp]Fluke 165x series MFT error codes:

Error 1, Self-Test failure. Return tester to Fluke service centre.

Error 2, Over-Temperature. Wait let tester cool down.

Error 3, Internal protection failure? Return tester to Fluke service centre.

Error 4, Fault Voltage. Check the installation, in particular, the voltage between N and E.

Error 5, Excessive Noise. Loop, RCD tests, isolate all appliances. Earth Resistance tests, move earth stakes.

Error 6, Excessive Probe Resistance. Put the stakes deeper into the soil. Tamp down the soil directly around the stakes. Pour water around the stakes but not at the earth electrode under test.

[/FONT]I'm afraid Error 5 is the bane of the Fluke user's life mate, the no-trip test method employed by Fluke is very sensitive to any electrical noise on the supply all you can do is ensure all loads isolated before testing and if you then get an Error 5 warning retest until you get a valid reading. If you cannot get a stable reading you may have to test at an alternative time when the supply is less noisy, eg. lunchtime or after-hours.
Fluke trumpet the fact that when Error 5 is shown on the display you can press the down arrow and the measured value will be displayed (pressing the up arrow returns the display to the Error 5 message) but this is one of those pointless features that manufacturers dream up, because the measured value is unreliable due to the errors introduced by the noise on the supply and therefore should not be recorded on any certification paperwork.

Error 4 is usually caused by poor contact between one (or more) test prod or crocodile clip and the test point(s) usually the N and/or E connection(s). However, if reconnection makes no difference, then the MFT may well be measuring a real fault voltage, usually between N and E, this will obviously need to be cured before the MFT will allow you test normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes a lot of sense now as the error 5's have been occurring on our larger jobs with multiple distribution circuits. I have always used the merger 1553 and the fluke has been back up . It is sounding like the fluke or any fluke tester is no good for our type of installations

That makes a lot of sense now as the error 5's have been occurring on our larger jobs with multiple distribution circuits. I have always used the merger 1553 and the fluke has been back up . It is sounding like the fluke or any fluke tester is no good for our type of installations

The Megger 15xx and 17xx series MFTs are much less sensitive to electrical noise due to the patented test method they employ, and in my opinion are the best option for large commercial and industrial jobs.

Thank you for that very helpful bit of info ill have to go to boss now and explain I need the megger fixing as the fluke can't cope with our larger jobs. I am sure he will listen, NOT

Thank you

Just another quick fire question the fluke has a very fast loop test. I was using this the other day on a selective type rcd protected installation and it did not trip the rcd with the rcd set at 100ma and time at instantaneous . Any ideas why
The rcd in question was working correctly

Just wondering if I could safely test on loop with a 100ma rcd, and if not what sort of time delay could put on the rcd while testing to keep the installation safe but at the same time test on loop without fear of the rcd tripping

Reply to 1653 fluke error in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock