Discuss 16kw 3 phase load. do I NEED 4 OR 6 SQ CABLE? Thank you in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as usual we have all the info needed to make an accurate guess as to what size of string is required. if it's a motor,you could tie it down with a few yards of 1.5mm, doubled and twisted.

as usual we have all the info needed to make an accurate guess as to what size of string is required. if it's a motor,you could tie it down with a few yards of 1.5mm, doubled and twisted.

Wet or dry?

Stuff you need to know before running cables:
Zdb, breaker size and type, cable length. The 16KW is only a small component of the overall calculation which gives a hint at the breaker size but not type.
cheers

The cable run is 20 mtr. Feeding 3 0.5w motors and 12 kw heating element. many thanks

Hi Kerry as others have said, we are not a free design service here, we are happy to help in areas where we see you just need a little help to get you over a problem in their calcs but you are posting this and other threads and showing no info' that we would require or the fact that you dont seem to have tried any working out whatsoever. This would suggest that you are not an electrician and designing such an install would require one. Please correct us if we are wrong and offer all the relevent info needed to work out cable sizing and as other thread asks the '2.5no's singles in a conduit' could you show us your calcs so we can point your errors or confirm it to be correct.

so use the OSG and calculate current and volt drop for , say, 2.5mm cable and see if it's big enough. if not, then go to 4mm. etc.

The cable run is 20 mtr. Feeding 3 0.5w motors and 12 kw heating element. many thanks

KB my first post was a little tongue in cheek but this one is a little more to the point.

Are you sure you are talking about 0.5w motors or could that be 0.5kw which are 500 watt motors

You now have separate values on your design with concern of volt drop. The motors can take a higher than the 5% VD allowed for the heating elements

You are now talking about inductive and resistive loads, which to be honest is not that critical in this situation but you now need to divide this load up into different circuits.

So are you now going to feed a distribution board and then run your motor and elements from this local board, or are you going to take 2 circuits from an existing board

Honestly the list can go on, these above are just me thinking about this for less than a minute. There are so many variables to this that you need to tell us a lot more

There are so many variables to this that you need to tell us a lot more

The other option is to pass this work on to an electrician with experience in this field.
There is no shame in admitting that another firm may be better suited to a particular job, and while I keep hearing "I need the money, so I can't turn down the work", we all need to be fair to our customers.
There seem to be more and more people out there "having a go", without the knowledge or experience to carry out the work safely.

Zdb? - also now you have 4 devices, is this cable going to a control panel ?
Assume 0.5W is a typo for 0.5KW, the reason for needing the Zdb is sometimes with D type breakers ELI comes into play before volt drop and current carrying capacity.
It has caught out numerous sparkies (including myself) from what i find in testing.

Reply to 16kw 3 phase load. do I NEED 4 OR 6 SQ CABLE? Thank you in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock