Discuss 16mm² SWA 90 degree path in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

I have to go into a shipping container with 16mm² 3 Core SWA the isolator/supply is on the same surface as the cable will go through, and originates from. On the other side is plastic foil like insulation with sheepswool inside (20mm) , then foam board 20mm thick, then ply. I saw the spark doing the unit next door to me the hole saw was tangling up on the sheepswool and pulling it out, swearing as he went, it took him a good hour to get 6mm² SWA through. Total thickness say 75mm/85mm.
That aside, any bright ideas on getting a radius suitable through steel, ribbed at that as shipping containers are? And anyone encountered the type of insulation and lived to tell the story?

Yeh it is hopefully straight into DB back entry if I measure it right! You mean an ip65 plastic box and gland it at the box and run through with the innards? Thing about that is that the shipping container is ribbed so like a saw tooth wave with 50mm lines or something very similar. But yeh Maybe as its ip rated?

I would use a steel adapt box then run a cpc through to the banjo. That's just me don't like swa glands at all insulated enclosures.

My only consideration with a steel box is I will introduce an earth on to the steel structure and I am not sure how they have arranged the earth in regards to the steel of the shipping containers (must find out!). Also the isolator is plastic box and the armour of the supply is the earth with the fly lead as the earth in the unit.

if it's PME,maybe consider divorcing the earth and making the container TT

It is TN-C-S. and the supply is SWA 16 mm ² 4 core 3ph. the earth is supplied on the armour. I have to take my earth off that armour. Site foreman told me I cannot introduce an earth onto the containers as they are not bonded. Then another Main contractor told me the structures are bonded. Anyway it was not so bad. I managed to terminate on the DB through the back and set the gland into the wall so it worked out ok with the bend. All in metal conduit which I have not done since the devil was a boy. Forgot how to work out the length on bends. However pretty well done now.

The container is lined with ply I am only going onto that. This is largely out of my hands the supply has been set up to all the units and we have been sent (among other things) The characteristics of supply at origin (the quality is how I received it!) which we have to use to fill in our cert, do all dead tests they look and if they like it, they switch on the power then you get to do live tests and send them the cert. if they don't like it they switch you off again. Bit strange really but I was wondering how I would fill in that part, and was sent the below. I was wondering how that works, but essentially I am responsible for the installation inside the unit and they the outside and supply. The development is on the docks in Bristol called Cargo 2 if you want to google it and better understand. The bonding or not etc. as far as I can see is their problem. But yes essentially I agree. There must be loads of incidents where People have inserted fixings onto the external structure, introducing earths.

Attachments

• 20170509140152510.pdf
    218 KB · Views: 19
Happy to understand if I'm am wrong, but I think they have asked you to install something that by its design may not meet BS7671 ?

Are you only completing the schedule of Test results.
Yes.
Happy to understand if I'm am wrong, but I think they have asked you to install something that by its design may not meet BS7671 ?
I suspect if I dug into the matter we would find it is bonded. That is the steel of the hull of the shipping containers. There are about forty of them arranged in units selling food and jewellery etc.

Yes.
I suspect if I dug into the matter we would find it is bonded. That is the steel of the hull of the shipping containers. There are about forty of them arranged in units selling food and jewellery etc.
Hi V - I'm happy if you're happy :)
Who will be filling out Main Protective Conductors section of EIC do you reckon?

Reply to 16mm² SWA 90 degree path in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net