Discuss 16th edition consumer unit to 17th edition in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

clark

Is it possible to convert my 16th edition consumer unit to 17th edition, by adding an RCD plus an extra live and neutral wire fed from the main switch to the unit. I'm wanting to do this as it will be cheaper than fitting a new consumer in my own house for my elecsa assessment. Any one out there carried out this kind of conversion?.

yes! it will! kit cost about £6 new cu £50

you best check if elecsa will allow you do use that as example mate! not very work type is it!

Thanks for your reply could you tell me the name of one of these kits, googles not throwing up any results. Many thanks.

Clarkster, depending on what board and setup you have, it may be easier to just fit an RCBO where you currently have MCB's that are unprotected by and RCD. Depends. Sometimes MCB's are unprotected by an RCD but comply with the 17th. Very hard to say without detail.

If theres just 1 MCB that covers lighting with switch drops hidden in the wall, etc might be a better idea, it will be up to the 17th then. Depends.

I've converted several split load 16th edition boards to dual RCD boards. Provided you can get the RCD unit at a fair price and you've got at least 2 spare ways, it isn't too hard. I don't think it will cut the mustard for an assessment job though.

RCBOs is the other option. Again, you need to be able to get them at a decent price.

You should do a cost comparison to see which is the most cost effective route for your board. Do it properly so you can use the model for future clients.

Another option is 'off board' RCDs in their own enclosure. But this solution brings different issues with it.

Reply to 16th edition consumer unit to 17th edition in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net