Discuss 16th edition install plus work, passable? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electric avenue

Hi, Im due to carry out work on a house which needs a PIR /EICR its currently seems in ok condition and has a 16th edition consure uni and am fairly sure it'd pass.. The client also want some extras fitting, sockets fan in bathroom, shaver point, moving lights etc
Do they need a new 17th edition consumer unit (rcd for lighting side of board) to pass or will the 16th eddition board be ok as it was installed during those regulations.

Am basicly usure weather by carrying out work on the non RCD/ 16th edition circuits they are now required to meet 17th edition standards and a new board or conversion needed.

hope that makes sense

I would, if possible, just use an RCBO for the lighting (in place of the MCB) on the non-RCD'd side of the board when altering the lighting circuit/s, any additions/alterations you do have to comply with the latest regs.

If the installation complied with the Regulations in force at the time of design, then there is no requirement for the installation to be upgrade to meet current requirements.
However any alteration or addition that you now conduct must comply with the current Regulations.
As such if you install a socket-outlet intended for general use, the socket-outlet must be provided with RCD protection.
If you install any cables that are concealed in walls, then those cables must be provided with additional protection, which could be by providing RCD protection.
If you make any alteration or addition to a circuit of a location containing a bath or shower, then that circuit must be provided with RCD protection.

You should also note, that you are required to divide an installation so as to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault.
If at present you have circuits provided with individual protective devices, instaling a device which would provide protection for those circuits and at the same time other circuits, could well be considered as increasing inconvenience.

The simplest solution is most likely to replace any non-RCD protected MCBs that protect the circuits you intend altering with RCBOs.

suspected that was the case been out of domestic stuff for 18 months so getting back into the swing of thins is taking time. any idea if RCBO's are available for this or new ones fit into
this board?

photo client took Old style crabtree

P1020348[1][2].jpg

they'd have to be starbreaker rcbo's though.

Reply to 16th edition install plus work, passable? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net