Discuss 17 volt potential in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have come across a potential difference off 17 volts between a hand rail and a lampost, the building is an old one and relys alot on metal work for earth paths, the only way to rid if the potential is to bond the handrail. Client isn't happy with this due the decrotive level within the area, anyone got an alternative answer, and does 17 volts really matter, and is there a get out in the regs?

Measure the resistance of the handrail to the main earthing terminal, if it's less than 22KΩ then it requires bonding.

Is this handrail bolted into the floor or bolted to the wall?

Is the wall or floor damp? A few years ago my wife complained about getting a shock off a hotel room wall while we were on holiday in Kenya. I thought yeah, right then got the same shock myself! Possibly a faulty accessory / wiring and damp conditions in our situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 17 volt potential in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

V
Hi Guys, Have i been to a hum dinger of an installation today! Are we sitting comfortably then i'll begin. An electrician i was talking to in the...
Replies
Views
V
Hi Guys, Have i been to a hum dinger of an installation today! Are we sitting comfortably then i'll begin. An electrician i was talking to in the...
Replies
Views
Videodoctor
V
J
Hi Folks, Bit of an introduction thread - I'm a total newbie on this forum and looking for a bit of advice. Just moved in with my gf for the...
Replies
Views
This subject has been discussed alot online and has more than a few angles; but can someone tell me if this sounds right:- TNC-S system's are not...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, I'm new to the forums so am not sure if this is the right section for these questions, but it appears to be a good area to place them. I'm...
Replies
Views
GMjohn
G

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock