Discuss 17th and 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OhmSweetOhm

Gonna look into doing my 17th and 2391 when I come back off my jollys in July so was just wondering what I should be looking to refresh my memory on in terms of both.
Been told the 17th is more about finding things in the book and being able to use it properly rather than actually knowing all the regs off by heart. Is this true?
And what are the main parts to study in the 2391? Got my college books at the ready and am quite looking forward to reading them again so what page should I be turning to first?

Thanks,
Ohm.

If you can read you'll pass 17th mate. 2391 is splitting into two different courses but I'm guessing that guidance note 3 will still be the "must read" document

Ah great, even more money out my pocket no doubt!
GN3 being the orangey, yellowy booky thingy? Are there any PDF versions of that kicking about because no doubt that's £20?
Hate having to pay to become smarter! ha

Left college a while ago now, mate, so I don't think they'll appreciate me sneaking back in to have a cheeky browse through their shelves.
Are there any formulas and theories etc. I can brush up on in the books I already have while I'm out spending my GN3 savings money on holiday clothes?

Yes, the 2382 is really just looking stuff up in the book.
The 2391 only goes over stuff you've done already, but in a bit more detail.
You could brush up on earth electrode testing and familiarise yourself with the new EICR forms including the schedule of inspections.
As regards formulae, adding together resistances in parallel (for working out the result of a bunch IR test) and working out what R1+R2 value you should get on a ring final test are the only two you really need.
It's R1+R2÷4 btw.

Left college a while ago now, mate, so I don't think they'll appreciate me sneaking back in to have a cheeky browse through their shelves.
Are there any formulas and theories etc. I can brush up on in the books I already have while I'm out spending my GN3 savings money on holiday clothes?
You'll be enrolling again for your courses though but:)

I will obviously be buying it to study before I start the course, but I'm not gonna enroll until after my holiday so therefore I may aswell make use of the resources I already have. Waste not, want not!

Surely it'll cost the same after your holiday as it does before, and it's better to get more of a head start before the course begins?

Reply to 17th and 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net