Discuss 17th Edition and the Split Load Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

Going to sign up for my part p next week - I have a lovely CU change in a small bungalow to do which I will submit for the inspection.

Going with Elecsa.

The small bungalow only has:
1 ring final
1 lighting circuit
1 shower
1 16a feed for the boiler

I'm just thinking that I can put in a small board with 1 RCD or do I really need to split and use a dual RCD board?

you could put a BG split load C/U in from screwfix....reasonable pricewise and not bad to work on (i`v fitted a few of em)...just make sure theres room for it first of course....and you wont need to worry about the 10% spare ways either...lol...

For that amount of circuits I would go with RCBO's if the customer can afford it, would also make for a very neat and tidy install for you assessment.

your BG C/Us are ..about £50...thats fully loaded...so would work out cheaper than RCBOs....

As above go for rcbo's. If you go for a split board separate the circuits as below.

1 ring final RCD 1
1 lighting circuit RCD 2
1 shower RCD 2
1 16a feed for the boiler RCD 1

This way if the lights are out they can plug in a table lamp. If the boiler has tripped they can still get washed via the shower. I'd still use rcbos, not that much more money and it will look better to your assessor.

Going to sign up for my part p next week - I have a lovely CU change in a small bungalow to do which I will submit for the inspection.

Going with Elecsa.

1 ring final
1 lighting circuit
1 shower
1 16a feed for the boiler

I'm just thinking that I can put in a small board with 1 RCD or do I really need to split and use a dual RCD board?

If you do fit a board with a single RCD, I suspect you'll have a difficult conversation with your Elecsa assessor, plus a non compliance - which is NOT what you want at your assessment.

RCBO's or a dual board is the way to go IMHO.

one fault on the kettle etc.
17th Edition and the Split Load Board {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If you do fit a board with a single RCD, I suspect you'll have a difficult conversation with your Elecsa assessor, plus a non compliance - which is NOT what you want at your assessment.

RCBO's or a dual board is the way to go IMHO.
As

I agree, a single RCD incomer is NOT compliant. Your assessor will stamp on your fingers and make you read 314 in the regs book (Division of Installation).
314.2 is especially relavent. I suggest you have a read through this section.

I agree, the Denmans RCBO bundle is a good option, if you don't have a Denmans nearby then have a look at Contactum Contactum CP MCB's, and RCBO's. A 4 RCBO set up will be about £100.

agree with above posts. deffo RCBOs. if it were not too big a job, i would also see if the RFC could be split into 2 circuits.

agree with above posts. deffo RCBOs. if it were not too big a job, i would also see if the RFC could be split into 2 circuits.

And maybe mention to them the advantage of wired smoke alarm or put a free battery one in for them if they are elderly. EM might be pushing it a bit far lol in a bungalow?

Id fit either as already suggested RCBO's or twin rcd split board with unprotected ways, then boiler is only circuit on rcbo as losing heating due to unrelated fault could be serious issue with regards to dear old lady in winter in bungalow, ive always quoted and suggested for dedicated fridge/freezer circuit and boiler circuit and most of the time it gets the go ahead.
Tripping of an rcd with boiler circuit on it can be a health risk and its within the regs for such situations to be avoided, but regarding the the fact the wiring is existing then at a minimum id put RCBO on boiler which ever board you decide to put in.

I'm just asking myself, why would you leave a single ring circuit to supply all of this small bungalow's power. At least provide another ring to supply the kitchen's power requirements....

It wouldn't be a bad idea either, to have the light near the CU location on a separate MCB. Far better than the bungalow being in total darkness trying to find the tripped lighting MCB at the CU.

As for CU type i'd always, always go with the all RCBO route, especially on this size of installation, and the bundles that are available at relatively low cost....

EDIT...
Ooooops ....read CU change as ''Rewire'' lol!!!

My Toilet is smaller than the kitchen in this property! They have only 8 double sockets in the complete property inc the kitchen.
There ii no way i'm gonna start ripping the kitchen apart when all thats needed is a new CU.

ECD Electrical components direct, 4 Rcbos about £48, plus maybe 20 snots for a small enclosure.

Wouldnt bother with a dual Rcd board anymore price diff is almost irrelevant now.

Reply to 17th Edition and the Split Load Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock