Discuss 17th edition exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am currently at college in my 3rd year. When we leave college in the summer we are qualifed to 17th standard, as that is what we have been taught to. Our lecturers are pushing us to take an extra exam for a 17th cert, even though we will already be qualified to that level, as they say it will be needed when finding new work (as it will be required to provide the cert).

Now myself and others argue that if we are qualfied to 17th, then surely no extra exam is necessary. Do you think they are just trying to push us for this extra exam to get a few more positive results through the college (as it's quite a poor performer) or do you think it is something that we will actually require in the future?

if you qualify to 17th i asume you will have evidence of this, however its not going to cost a bomb for the extra qual then i guess you can never have too many cirtificates. if you are going to be jib reg it will be on your card anyway

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should sit a 17th edition update exam if you have qualified since the update.

Sounds like a money maker to me....

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should sit a 17th edition update exam if you have qualified since the update.

Sounds like a money maker to me....

These were my thoughts. I work for a healthy company at the moment, and whilst I know no job is set in stone, we work on a government site, with endless amounts of work. If i were to leave for another company, then perhaps then would be a good time to get the cert. At the same time i'm thinking it might be worthwhile to do the exam at college whilst everything is still fresh in my head.

These were my thoughts. I work for a healthy company at the moment, and whilst I know no job is set in stone, we work on a government site, with endless amounts of work. If i were to leave for another company, then perhaps then would be a good time to get the cert. At the same time i'm thinking it might be worthwhile to do the exam at college whilst everything is still fresh in my head.

I maybe missing something here but, when you qualify in the summer, your certificate is yours and should (i think) state the quals and to what level/edition.

Even if you leave the company you are working for, the cert stays with you.

Unless things have changed recently that im not aware of.

According to our lecturers the certs we get at the end of college don't actually state we are to 17th, although the dates of the certs will notify we qualifed when 17th was active. They seem to think an employer will only accept a 17th cert. To be honest the amount of (NO SWEARING) they have fed us over the last 3 years it is hard to know when they are talking some sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 17th edition exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock