Discuss 17th edition info regarding testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ric87

Disconenction times, is it anything over 32a is 5 seconds and anything upto 32a and under is 4 seconds.
Also EEBADS as this now changed to ADS. Does this mean that on periodic inspection you would put ADS or would you use eebads as it isnt a new installation.
Work in industrial and comercial enviroment so is there any difference with domestic.
Cheers.

yeah its changed to ADS, and i agree with oyu on the over 32A diss time, think the under 32A is .4secs. doing the course this week. head is battered with all sorts of stuff. doing the exam tommorow

to the 16th any circuit supplying handheld( portable ) eg connected to the fixed wiring by means of a plug disconnection time was 0.5 sec or quicker. You're more likely to be touching a portable appliance when a fault occurs therefore you wouldn't want to be connected to 230 for 5 seconds!! whereas if a fixed luminaire develops a fault, chances are no-one will be touching it and if the fuse goes within 5 seconds that wont be enough time for heat damage. (allegedly). Haven't upgraded yet so can't answer definitely but if the means of protection for that installation was EEBADS then would it not always be the same?

Sorry!! for handheld equipment circuits the disconn time was 0.4 secs not 0.5

Last edited:
Watch out for that phrase "distribution circuit" when you do the 17th exam they like to catch you out with that one. I believe it doesn't matter what amp circuit it is if its a distribution circuit its all 5s.Page 47 of regs.

ric87 is correct ads is correct abrev. to use.Just done 17th lecturerer mentioned mistake had been made as .4 related up to 32amp,but if you have a shower in bathroom which can be on m.c.b over 32amp anything in a bathroom should be .4 disconnection time anyway.Is this another 17th Edition "balls up again?" Would be interested if anyone can clarify this please.p.s anyone noticed price of scrap copper has reached rock bottom!!!!!

Table 41.1 , Regs P46, Maximum Disconnection Times, Not exceeding 32A, TN system 0.4secs.

All circuits in a bath/shower room should be protected by an RCD 30mA.

I know that Satan likes a bit of egg nog that's why I'm being the devils advocaat. Whatever iis in the 17th can only apply to new installs designed after blah blah! Any existing install and that can be up to the scurrilous 16th ed can onlyv be judged to the design parameters in place at the time. New testers , like myself , may have problems differentiating 16th probs from 17th probs. I think that not many lives will be lost but itsnumbers innit?

Reply to 17th edition info regarding testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock